mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Trying to ohm out a Stihl 026 coil. I have found some charts that give that info but they are to small to read and I don't have a 10 year old hanging around to read it. The charts will not expand on my Computer. Thank you. If they give the gap also please let me know.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my little bit of experience work on chainsaw I have found out that if you pull the starter slow and it does not spark replace it. Don't care what the meter says. They will spark if you pull them hard but they WILL NOT START. That's my 2 cents of advice

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
12:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you post a link/post a pic , maybe someone will have a 10yr old to read for you,;)

the pulling it slow is not a real good way to test a coil, some need that quick pull to get a spark as they don’t spark/work below a certain rpm.

Probably the best way to test a coil it one of those coil spark tester, because they make the spark jump a 7mm gap. And if it can’t jump the wider gap then it’s on its way out.

the other way is having a spare coil, and see if your getting the same problem. But not everyone has a spare ;)

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used one of these clip on type test plug for that last 40 years (amazon link below).
Gap is only about 5mm but still has given me good test results when used at a "normal" cranking pull speed.

As WonkyDonky mentioned, some ignitions have a low rpm cut off point.
And as Mirage mentioned, if it takes hard assed pull to pop the gap, it's getting weak, has been my experience also.

amazon.com/OTC-6589-Electronic-Ignition-Tester/dp/B0050SFVO2

Last edited:

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok put the coil on that I got from Amazon. NO joke fired on first pull . ALL good.