Steam Locomotives and Such.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
this was in the morning leaving the museum where the loco's are kept on display. we had just built the train for the day and i was taking my truck with me so i took this video.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
7:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
this was in the morning leaving the museum where the loco's are kept on display. we had just built the train for the day and i was taking my truck with me so i took this video.

I can't decide if the 2 joggers trying to get pics are funny or crazy for getting that close.

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If anyone has kept up on this locomotive it is back at it's birth place being put back together yet again. Well not exactly. It was built at the Juniata Locomotive Shops. It is being rebuilt at the Altoona Railroaders Museum which is use to be a part of the original PRR Altoona Works.

This time they are only allowing railroader workers to work on it. I myself have have worked on it a little bit but life got in the way and I had to bow out.

It's mostly done the only thing that they are waiting on is I was told that the federal guidelines have changed for the roof sheet thickness. So the roof sheet needs to be made thicker and more and stronger stay bolts need to be installed. The boiler and the running gear is done and rebuilt.

They are just waiting on some more funding to complete it.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If anyone has kept up on this locomotive it is back at it's birth place being put back together yet again. Well not exactly. It was built at the Juniata Locomotive Shops. It is being rebuilt at the Altoona Railroaders Museum which is use to be a part of the original PRR Altoona Works.

This time they are only allowing railroader workers to work on it. I myself have have worked on it a little bit but life got in the way and I had to bow out.

It's mostly done the only thing that they are waiting on is I was told that the federal guidelines have changed for the roof sheet thickness. So the roof sheet needs to be made thicker and more and stronger stay bolts need to be installed. The boiler and the running gear is done and rebuilt.

They are just waiting on some more funding to complete it.

That's great Joe! I visited it when we where out your way in 2019.

20191001_113524_HDR.jpg 20191001_113028_HDR.jpg 20191001_113543.jpg

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just a random thought but I wonder if anyone has thought about running these beasts on lp?

For a while BNSF was testing some new units on lp. If you happened to drive by while they were filling tank they would have about a 20 foot tall tower with a 50 foot flame coming out. I could only guess it was to keep lines from freezing?

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just a random thought but I wonder if anyone has thought about running these beasts on lp?

For a while BNSF was testing some new units on lp. If you happened to drive by while they were filling tank they would have about a 20 foot tall tower with a 50 foot flame coming out. I could only guess it was to keep lines from freezing?

Im sure it would work just fine but I bet it is more dangerous due to the compressed storage. Also is more complex to use and I think it has lower btus than fuel oil so, less efficient?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Im sure it would work just fine but I bet it is more dangerous due to the compressed storage. Also is more complex to use and I think it has lower btus than fuel oil so, less efficient?

Yeah the usage is more complex. So from the quick glancing at a home heating site I did oil has 130,000 btus while gas is 95,000. But gas is 95% efficient compared to oils 85%.

All this came to mind if some eco terrorists decided to band these for being "dirty"?

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah the usage is more complex. So from the quick glancing at a home heating site I did oil has 130,000 btus while gas is 95,000. But gas is 95% efficient compared to oils 85%.

All this came to mind if some eco terrorists decided to band these for being "dirty"?

I know a lot of these scale live steam operations use propane so they don't have the nasty exhaust in their faces.

WetGunPowder

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

If they ran the 4014 on LP my buddy Dean would be out of a job!