Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
4:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I read UP 4014 is ready to deport Cheyenne on May 4th. I haven't been this excited since N&W 611 rolled out!

I'm super excited about the 3 truck Climax that has been under restoration since 1971 at Cass, WV. It is set for reveal September 6th! Im going out in October to ride it for sure.

Any steam restorations you all been following?

Got a favorite locomotive or rail line?

UP 4014

https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/index.htm

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is my favorite locomotive. Meadow River #6. Its a 3 truck Heisler built in 1929. I find it interesting because through out its history it had a reputation for being hated and a unreliable. Its facinating to me that of all the locomotives at MRL this and Shay 1 are the only ones still around. With 6 being in operation. You would figure it would have been scrapped years ago it it was really as bad as you read in the old shop journals and the crew at Cass hate it! I asked one of the prominent long time engineers there why they never used the Heisler much. His imediate response was "Its a piece of *s-wordt!".

It is currently running the Durbin Rocket in Durbin, WV.

IMG_20181003_104433.jpg IMG_20181003_104340.jpg

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I’ve rode cass 4 times so far I’d like to do the overnight thing but expensive to do

My wife and i would like to do that too. They also do that at Durbin. I think i would rather do it there since its right on the Greenbriar. Closer to civilization if something went wrong too.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My wife and i would like to do that too. They also do that at Durbin. I think i would rather do it there since its right on the Greenbriar. Closer to civilization if something went wrong too.
they are still putting down tracks where there was rail line connecting cass to spruce and to the rest of the tourist trails

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
while you are around go to spruce knob and Seneca rocks area along with the radio observatory in green bank

Been all those places! I spend alot of time in Pocahontas, Greenbriar, Monroe, and Summers counties. Mostly Greenbriar and Monroe. WV is where i spend most all my vacation time!

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been all those places! I spend alot of time in Pocahontas, Greenbriar, Monroe, and Summers counties. Mostly Greenbriar and Monroe. WV is where i spend most all my vacation time!
im about 2 hours from spruce and Seneca I went camping on spruce knob last May probably do it again this year

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll likely never get out there but it sure would be a treat to see 4104 and 844 running together.

I cant make it out either.:( . Definitely would be something to experience but at least there will be plenty of coverage on youtube!

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of my earliest memories was being in a station with my parents and brother back in the '50's in Toronto waiting for the train.
There was a tunnel at the station entrance and when that steam and smoke puffing locomotive came in it scared the crap out of me.

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I rode the nickle nickel plate #765 around the horseshoe curve, that was pretty cool.

But I really like the PRR #1361, it was built at the Juniata Locomotive shop in which where I work. It is a slow process but they are rebuilding it again. It got a new boiler but the roof sheet is not up to the new regulations so that's the next step. I was fortunate enough to get some time working on it because this time around they said that they only want railroad workers to do the work. I haven't worked on it for quite awhile due to life getting in the way.