Steam Locomotives and Such.

PJLink

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a pic I found of L&N's Big Emma pulling some coal through Clark County in 1956. This line runs by my house. It is now CSX and still sees alot of traffic.

View attachment 239705

Great pic! To me, the era just after WWII was phenomenal for so many reasons. I was born too late, i think i would've loved that time period!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I had not mentioned it before I once worked at Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton once called the Lima locomotive works famous for the Shay gear drive steamers in use by the Cass scenic railroad .Fact we used to deer hunt in those hills near the line .The works as it was is no longer .Not one trace of it is left but it was about 65 acres .With buildings 1000 feet long and the largest metal working machinery I've ever seen except in a ship yard
I was a welder and some how passing the welding test at 18 years old .It was not uncommon to burn 50 pounds of 3/16" iron powder rods in an 8 hour shift .It's a wonder my lungs work at all .
I might add the Allegheny freight engine in the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn Mich was built at Lima and I think has about the same HP and tractive effort as the Alco "big boy " which has been disputed for years .All I can say is it's a big one .
I'm old enough to remember when steam was still in service .Where they passed through a town the buildings looked like they came out of a coal mine .

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's something really interesting. A Case 150 road locomotive. The largest traction engine ever built. None of the originals 1905 units survived so these guys built one from scratch from original Case plans.

Check out the size of the plow at the end.

The 4014 or Allegheny (for you Al) of traction engines.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My old bud Paul who also owns a steamer went out to S Dakota when it was under power I think last year .They had over a million bucks and several years building that thing .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I might mention myself and good old Paulie spent hours rebuilding John-Deere two bangers some years ago . He was nuts, had some crotch rocket that would hit something like near 140 MPH . He also souped up a JD model G that never got out pulled at the pull offs .I never had one that won Something was cracked on it ,forgot what but I welded it up for him .JD Cast iron is the most easiest to weld, Caterpillar is the most difficult .

PJLink

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's something really interesting. A Case 150 road locomotive. The largest traction engine ever built. None of the originals 1905 units survived so these guys built one from scratch from original Case plans.

Check out the size of the plow at the end.

The 4014 or Allegheny (for you Al) of traction engines.

That Case had power to spare pulling that plow, couldve doubled it and i bet it wouldve done just fine. I know its a replica, but ya just cant beat old heavy iron!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you imagine shoveling coal into that thing all day long in the hot sun .Better yet getting that thing stuck in the mud .My word it would have taken every draft horse in three counties to pull it out .

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My personal fav is the SP 4449. I have been part of the crew of it since I was a kid. My dad was a real big railfan. He was part of the crew as well. Not a foamer but fan for sure. I have traveled over a lot of the mainline for UP and BNSF as well as a lot of short line and rare mileage.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
11:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My personal fav is the SP 4449. I have been part of the crew of it since I was a kid. My dad was a real big railfan. He was part of the crew as well. Not a foamer but fan for sure. I have traveled over a lot of the mainline for UP and BNSF as well as a lot of short line and rare mileage.

Is the 4449 still steaming?