Squish... Should I care?

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
6:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ha, this will be saw #3, but no mods planned on other 2, so doubt I'll bother. Then again, I suppose curiosity may get the best of me, so you may be right!

Edit: Actually, I looked again and RS has 2.5 oz roll for six bucks, which would mean I could by it and still eat dinner!

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any other must-have tool from HF before I order the caliper?

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
While you're there dont forget to get a degree wheel and a drill chuck so you can learn port timing. :biggrin:

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh no you DIH-ent!
Ha, I wouldn't want to put a buncha youse guys outa bidness!

B

Backyard Lumberjack

There's more than likely going to be .025-030" with a gasket on those. Stihl is the only manufacturer I've seen a saw under .020" from the factory. I'd check it just to check it and maybe you can delete the gasket. .017" or whatever the gasket is will be 1.5 degrees or a little less. Nothing you can notice more than likely

>I'd check it just to check it and maybe you can delete the gasket. .017" or whatever the gasket is will be 1.5 degrees or a little less.

now there is some, imo... noteworthy chainsaw timing tech. noted. thanks for posting it...

all a guy has to do is look up stock timing specs, and some suggested port timing changes... note what 2* up or 2* down ie, 80 vs 82 BTDC or ADTC, etc... will tweak power band up some rpms or down some rpms... can help tuning and dialing H settings...

B

Backyard Lumberjack

Ha, this will be saw #3, but no mods planned on other 2, so doubt I'll bother. Then again, I suppose curiosity may get the best of me, so you may be right!

Edit: Actually, I looked again and RS has 2.5 oz roll for six bucks, which would mean I could by it and still eat dinner!

3 saws, u r on your way!! some mod all of theirs, some don't, only one. I am leaving all my others stock, and playing with the 044...

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, definitely some slight modding on the other two. I swapped the stock muffler on the 421 with the cat-less e-version. Did that one all by myself!

And our very own, much beloved, (creaky? :sisi1), Randy made sure I had a beautiful, easy-breathing muffler on my 562, that looks like it came from the factory! I have not had the chance to put that in the wood yet, but have fired it up to give it a quick "ear" check!

As for the 681. Well, I don't actually know much about the muffler on that. Whether it will be worth touching or not. My guess is she will do all I could ask completely stock.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 7900 are usually .025-028" with gaskets. The 665 solo was around the same. They run a small chamber on e cylinders with a wide squish band.

B

Backyard Lumberjack

With gasket, I assume. Thanks Vince!

he said... "why, but of course... my dear~"... lol

reminds me of a cartoon I saw as a 4th grader! we were in England and my dad was in charge of Base Supply for one of America's stronghold international defense locations... up on the wall was a line art scene sketched in pencil. the detail was perfect... it was a bolt chasing a nut... and the nut was saying, " No - no, not without a washer!" lol...

of course, I did not get it! but did by day's end... lol

for me, I would never run a cylinder on a crankcase with no gasket! even with good sealants. just seems too much like running an engine w/o headgaskets... and kinda temporary. many do it, that I have learned. I like tweaking the squish with drop down of the cyl... but I still want a gasket. even if it only made out of printer paper, as an example. pepsi carton side will make a very nice composition base gasket .019, same as OE on the 1128 series. AM metal was .019, too. so I decided to mic up some tin foil other day. .0015 or thou and a half! wonder if tin foil would make a good base gasket?.... and if not, why not... its metal... so is the AM base gasket...

044d.png