srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
2:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only one currently available new is the Simington 451C Swing Arm. It's ok, many complain about the lack of rigidity of the arm making for really inconsistent beaks.

Used Silvey models are getting expensive. Models:
Swing Arm (Razursharp)
RSII (Razursharp II)
SDM4
Pro Sharp

The swing arm and RSII models are the fastest at grinding chain but work the corner of the stone hard so you have to redress the stone more often and can't take as large amounts off at one time compared to the SDM4 or Pro Sharp.

Old swing arm models (Silvey or Simington 450) lack the chain holder for/aft and vertical adjustment so you are left moving the stone to get the angles you want and you can only use so much of the stone before your angles get out of whack. I have a modification I can do to the older swing arm models to gain the for/aft and vertical adjustment.

The the RSII lacks a vertical adjustment as well, unless you have my slide kit installed. After installing my kit they can make really consistent chain.

SDM4 is a solid grinder but it's adjustments are limited to only work chain as the angle of the motor to the holders isn't adjustable.

Pro Sharp is a gangly mess that really sucks to ship but has the most adjustment. It's also the slowest to grind chain because of the distance between the operations you must complete to grind each tooth.

I think Ziegelmeyer may have made a square grinder but they are really rare.

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What Shaun said…450’s frame flexes too much and arm lacks movement. Welding it up and adding adjustment works.

Used properly the 451 is much more rigid and is quite accurate, one of the fastest grinders to roll a chain through. They all have pros and cons for sure.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
11:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cutting nasty wood...so primarily work chain angles (.404) and fast sharpening are probably main goals...would like to be able to do racy stuff though...although I have an ATOP I could use for that.

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What Shaun said…450’s frame flexes too much and arm lacks movement. Welding it up and adding adjustment works.

Used properly the 451 is much more rigid and is quite accurate, one of the fastest grinders to roll a chain through. They all have pros and cons for sure.

The sand cast 450 had a lot stronger frame and arm than the die cast 451, a lot more meat on the 450. Also the 451 has the vertical adjustment as a split arm which adds a lot of compliance.

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That’s a lot of good info. I own an RS2 with Shaun’s upgrades and a 451c. I can concur with about all of it. I can relate to the inconsistent beaks on the 451c, but I didn’t understand why. The RS2 is my favorite to run, even thought it throws the filings the wrong way for me. The 451 throws the filings straight back and away from me and up against my gunsafe door. They fall to the ground and I vacuum them up. Easy. The RS2 throws them back into the room making a big mess. Still have to vacuum, bigger area, poorer results. I said filings because I’m using the CBN products out there. Love em. I’m thinking of trying magnets on the RS2 next time I use it to catch the filings. Prolly work.

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The last time I used the 451 it was with a 6 3/4” CBN wheel. I lowered the chain holder and moved it as far forward as the machine allowed and I got an excellent,speedy grind. Also I think, the shorter arm resulted in more rigidity (or less movement) and had consistent perfect corners. That flakiness was completely gone.

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The sand cast 450 had a lot stronger frame and arm than the die cast 451, a lot more meat on the 450. Also the 451 has the vertical adjustment as a split arm which adds a lot of compliance.
The 450 lacks the webbing that the 451 saw-if you push on the end of the arm the frame flexes far more on the 450, I’ve seen them compared. Arms themselves the 450 is much more rigid absolutely.

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 450 lacks the webbing that the 451 saw-if you push on the end of the arm the frame flexes far more on the 450, I’ve seen them compared. Arms themselves the 450 is much more rigid absolutely.

Got ya, I haven't looked closely at the frame of the 450, just the arm.

Sounds like the fixed one problem and created another.

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That’s a lot of good info. I own an RS2 with Shaun’s upgrades and a 451c. I can concur with about all of it. I can relate to the inconsistent beaks on the 451c, but I didn’t understand why. The RS2 is my favorite to run, even thought it throws the filings the wrong way for me. The 451 throws the filings straight back and away from me and up against my gunsafe door. They fall to the ground and I vacuum them up. Easy. The RS2 throws them back into the room making a big mess. Still have to vacuum, bigger area, poorer results. I said filings because I’m using the CBN products out there. Love em. I’m thinking of trying magnets on the RS2 next time I use it to catch the filings. Prolly work.

Hold up! You have a CBN wheel on the RSII?

Pics or it didn't happen!

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven’t moved it over to the RS2 yet. I have plans to try it. I shall measure the distance from the bottom of the wheel to the top of the chain holder and transfer that measurement to the RS2. Then I’ll slide the the entire slide assembly up to the 6 3/4” wheel. I think it will work fine. Do you see any reason for it not to work? image.jpg
Notice the machine settings on the 451c in order to use the 6 3/4” wheel.

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hold up! You have a CBN wheel on the RSII?

Pics or it didn't happen!
It hasn’t happened yet. But I can see where you got the idea I had. Sorry. Lol

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They (it) are avail. It’s where I got mine.

And they will make custom wheels to order for the same price. Just send them a wheel (angle) you want reproduced. Takes a long time .

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
11:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think @jacob j. has one .

Yep, got a Ziegelmeyer, an earlier Simington 450B, and a Chicago Freight round grinder for doing gullets.

When the weather gets nicer here, I'll dig the Ziggy out and do a write-up on it. Mine has the foot controller and water-cooling system.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep, got a Ziegelmeyer, an earlier Simington 450B, and a Chicago Freight round grinder for doing gullets.

When the weather gets nicer here, I'll dig the Ziggy out and do a write-up on it. Mine has the foot controller and water-cooling system.
Looking forward to it ,Mr JJ 👍