Why port?

julie wolf

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am a newbie to chainsaws and am curious. Many people I have talked to say to get my new MS400 chainsaw ported. Why? What are the pros and cons? Really curious and trying to understand. What i have learned so far is a bit confusing.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am a newbie to chainsaws and am curious. Many people I have talked to say to get my new MS400 chainsaw ported. Why? What are the pros and cons? Really curious and trying to understand. What i have learned so far is a bit confusing.
If you know anyone that has a ported saw , you can try by a reputable saw builder, you will understand why , but it’s not for everyone only people that are dazed and confused, Lol 😆

Woodwater

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are new to Chainsaw's, all i can say is: Get comfortable with it. The question to port the saw, should not come before you think the saw can be a bit faster that you can work faster with it.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Having a saw ported can change it's running characteristics to better fit the end user's needs. Some end users want a saw to have more grunt and be able to pull a longer bar than a stocker could. Some want a spicier build for faster limbing, and some want a nice balance of both. A competent builder should be able to achieve any of the aforementioned goals. As for the ms400, I would say gains of 30-40% are realistic depending on the build goals.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome to the forum. Ported saws have their pros and cons. If you value your time and want to be more productive with your saw, then I would look in to porting. I've got about 10 ported saws but I've also got some non-ported saws. Some times I like to pick up the non ported saws because I like the way they cut and I'm not really worried about time and volume. So the answer is it all depends on what your end game is. Try somones ported saw if you can to see how they cut and make up your own mind. Like said above, a reputable porter is a must. I've seen some saws ruined by somebody who really has no clue or takes alternative routes to acheive the desired results. Good luck in your cutting!

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Having a saw ported can change it's running characteristics to better fit the end user's needs. Some end users want a saw to have more grunt and be able to pull a longer bar than a stocker could. Some want a spicier build for faster limbing, and some want a nice balance of both. A competent builder should be able to achieve any of the aforementioned goals. As for the ms400, I would say gains of 30-40% are realistic depending on the build goals.
Didn’t know they had trees in the grasslands Lol

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Around this forum, when someone says a saw is “ported”, I generally assume machine work is included. The port job in the first vid you posted doesn’t have machine work…as such, the gains aren’t going to be comparable to a saw that has had machine work done.

Last edited:

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It sure would be nice if the ms400 was a professional saw.

I like to think when I use a professional piece of equipment, that it makes me a professional as well..........
MS400 is listed as a professional on Stihl website. @julie wolf bring your ms400 and you can compare to my newly ported MS400. I can drop a 25” red oak to cut and compare.

julie wolf

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
MS400 is listed as a professional on Stihl website. @julie wolf bring your ms400 and you can compare to my newly ported MS400. I can drop a 25” red oak to cut and compare.
That would be great! Thanks. Oh..., I think I saw you are in Michigan, I'm in Wisconsin.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've yet to see more than a few ported saws in use by loggers and tree services
Locally
It's a very limited field that has grown in popularity with YouTube and social media.
Not absolutely necessary but to get work done quicker with more power
That's why many here run ported saws
and Stihls need all the help they can get.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Locally
It's a very limited field that has grown in popularity with YouTube and social media.
I think it’s more prevalent on the west coast with fallers in big timber,

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
12:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Locally

It takes some time running a saw before you start thinking about how to make the experience better. It did for me anyway. I still run plenty of stock saws too. But they have to run well or I won’t use them. Dull chains, hard starts, broken parts, no thanks. Ported saws are just another bump up in performance. It makes the work better.

People hold their dollars close in WV. Life is expensive and it’s hard to charge a living wage. Why spend extra when the saw is already good?