Square files, the what and the where?

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
11:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had another look at this chain I got.. no prizes as to where it’s from. I took it out the packet for closer inspection today.. after writing what I did above..
This chain is a semi chisel and I thought it had a sq grind on it. So can someone tell me what sort of grind it has on it from the factory o_O
For ref.. it’s a 16” 325 chain

019DF74E-3D5B-4BB3-B8B6-F30FCDC6B86F.jpeg 268EDCDC-53C1-4868-ADD6-BE3B226F1C5B.jpeg 839F0937-E21D-4190-900E-77189B79A4B1.jpeg

Last edited:

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
7:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had another look at this chain I got.. no prizes as to where it’s from. I took it out the packet for closer inspection today.. after writing what I did above..
This chain is a semi chisel and I thought it had a sq grind on it. So can someone tell me what sort of grind it has on it from the factory o_O
For ref.. it’s a 16” 325 chain

View attachment 278967 View attachment 278968 View attachment 278971
I'd say it looks like a round ground chain where the profile of the wheel is very blunt, and has a short transition from the side of the wheel to the bottom. I bet I could profile a wheel to get that kind of cutter.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
6:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But I want more details and photos!
He doesn't do photos Phil. We have asked several times.

How about sketches! I'll take clear sketches!

So can someone tell me what sort of grind it has on it from the factory
Does not look 'factory grind', but I will accept your word on that. Looks like it might have more than one grinder pass on it?

If someone grinds with the side of the wheel, instead of the rim of the wheel, they can get a profile like that. A similar profile can be achieved with a goofy file, but the goofy file would not leave as large of a gullet as that. illustrations exaggerated for clarity.

Goofy File Round File Grind.png

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Searched recently for single or double-bevel files. This is what I found. Prices vary with quantity, and the site you buy from.
Tried to buy the Bahco files from the eBay seller above. Got a shipping confirmation, and USPS tracking number, billed my credit card, and everything. They did not show up. When I contacted them, I was told that they never really shipped, because they were out of stock (?). Waited 3 weeks, and they only told me when I looked into it? They cancelled the order and are issuing a refund, so, somehow, I can't even leave them feedback for some reason (?), but I am sharing my experience here, since I kind of 'recommended' them above. Your experience may differ.

Meanwhile, found the same files for a lower price from a different seller (zoro.com), although, you have to buy in quantities of 10. Free shipping on orders over $75. If you can use the additional files, it works out to the same price as the eBay seller, plus you also get $10 in 'free' money to spend on something else (lots of tools, machine supplies, hardware, etc.). They also sell the Pferd files, but again, you have to buy in quantities of 10 or 12.

https://www.zoro.com/snap-on-industrial-brands-bahco-flat-chisel-bit-file-7-4-150-07-3-0/i/G7616686/

Phlbert

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think You are unable to leave a rating due to the seller canceling Your order.
If You had triggered a complaint through the eBay system You may still have been able to rate the seller.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think You are unable to leave a rating due to the seller canceling Your order.
I get that; sort of. And I don't want to turn this into an eBay thread. But it is this type of activity that potential customers might want to know about in seller ratings. If it is not typical, it would get balanced out by the positive ratings. But if it is 'blocked' by protocol . . .

Anyway, posted it here only because I listed them earlier as a potential vendor.

Philbert

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
7:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I get that; sort of. And I don't want to turn this into an eBay thread. But it is this type of activity that potential customers might want to know about in seller ratings. If it is not typical, it would get balanced out by the positive ratings. But if it is 'blocked' by protocol . . .

Anyway, posted it here only because I listed them earlier as a potential vendor.

Philbert
It happens often. Especially with new shipments of stock items arriving late. They’ve always notified me within a couple days and refunded the money

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They’ve always notified me within a couple days and refunded the money
That would have been better than sending me a tracking number and making me investigate 3 weeks later. I could have ordered from other vendors instead of waiting.

Let’s get back to files and filing.
Philbert

Ford3000

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With the way prices are jumping year it isn't unexpected here. A drv for the FS90 that was $16 last year was $36 last week for me to buy one. Then on Sunday I checking on a Nikki fuel bowl from Briggs that I paid under $30 last August is now priced $100 yet the whole carburetor is only $110.

To be it is just plain price unreasonable.
Briggs and Stratton have gone under, in receivers hands, I have to get a new mower so it’s Honda or Loncin engines around here if you want parts in the future.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ne-maker-briggs-stratton-files-for-bankruptcy

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Meanwhile, found the same files for a lower price from a different seller (zoro.com), although, you have to buy in quantities of 10.

Well, that order sadly got cancelled. They said that the manufacturer had a backorder with no expected fulfillment date.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
File Sharpening?

Folks said that Save Edge used to offer a file sharpening service, but discontinued it. Someone on another forum suggested this company:

https://boggstool.com/file-division

They said that they can sharpen a wide range of file types, but I wonder how that works on the critical corners of double bevel / chisel bit files.

Does anyone have experience with this company? Has anyone tried other file sharpening services and have experiences to share, especially with these kinds of files?

Thanks.

Philbert