dilligaf
Local time
3:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Try your local Stihl dealer for this part number:
A72F03AA-995D-4EF1-BB56-93A284E71DBD.png

Please report back. (my dealers suck balls so I won’t bother)

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
2:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Try your local Stihl dealer for this part number:

Please report back. (my dealers suck balls so I won’t bother)

My STIHL dealer (4th generation family owned) said that they never carried them. STIHL catalog just refers them to the triangular / hex files.

Philbert

Pincher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
About a year ago, I attempted to order the 7010 871 0006 from the dealer that closed by me. When he checked, it subbed to the 7010 871 0132 triangle file for square chain. He ordered a dozen, kept two and I bought the other ten. I think midwest Stihl was discontinuing them.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My STIHL dealer (4th generation family owned) said that they never carried them. STIHL catalog just refers them to the triangular / hex files.

Philbert
This apparently is a current part, according to European square file group for Vallorbe made Stihl branded double bevels.
So my question is, did you ask about any double bevel offered by Stihl ever, or did they look up that part number?
927C3ED3-6B27-4728-AC9C-DC6953716C52.jpeg

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This apparently is a current part, according to European square file group for Vallorbe made Stihl branded double bevels.
STIHL offers a lot of items in other countries, that are not available in the US, even by special order. The stock numbers do not even show up. Just like thle progressive depth gauge tools.

If you ever vacation overseas, or know someone stationed there in the military, it might be worth putting together a list, and visiting a STIHL dealer for a shopping trip.

Philbert

Last edited:

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had another look at this chain I got.. no prizes as to where it’s from. I took it out the packet for closer inspection today.. after writing what I did above..
This chain is a semi chisel and I thought it had a sq grind on it. So can someone tell me what sort of grind it has on it from the factory o_O
For ref.. it’s a 16” 325 chain

View attachment 278967 View attachment 278968 View attachment 278971

I don’t have the chains at hand but that cutter side profile looks exactly like some semi chisel Archer I bought a couple years back. I commented on how unusual it was and wondered what the grinding wheel would look like and I believe @Philbert commented on how many of the newer aggressive grinds were accomplished on CNC machines using multiple passes at different angles

I kind of think @RI Chevy had some with that same funky sideways chevron grind

Michael

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
File Sharpening?

Folks said that Save Edge used to offer a file sharpening service, but discontinued it. Someone on another forum suggested this company:

https://boggstool.com/file-division

They said that they can sharpen a wide range of file types, but I wonder how that works on the critical corners of double bevel / chisel bit files.

Does anyone have experience with this company? Has anyone tried other file sharpening services and have experiences to share, especially with these kinds of files?

Thanks.

Philbert

Philbert

As far as I have ever known all “file sharpening” processes involve dipping the cleaned up file in sulphuric acid for a period of time followed by rinses in a bicarbonate of soda solution followed by multiple water baths

To my knowledge there is no other process

I have heard of people doing it at home with drain cleaners and other sulfuric acid based compounds

It simply eats away at the once sharp corners and restores them somewhat to their original state

I have used a few over the years and they ranged from surprisingly good for a used file to downright dreadful

YMMV

Regards

Michael

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have heard of acid dips too. Tried it once at home, trying to be open minded on the subject.

This company claims to blast the underside of each tooth with abrasive under steam pressure (?). Visit the website.

Looks pretty affordable to try. I only have dull round files and depth gauge files to try, which are so cheap to buy that it is not worth it.

But for a $16 file, even getting half another life out of it could be a good deal. I’m not sure about the corners though.

Philbert

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have heard of acid dips too. Tried it once at home, trying to be open minded on the subject.

This company claims to blast the underside of each tooth with abrasive under steam pressure (?). Visit the website.

Looks pretty affordable to try. I only have dull round files and depth gauge files to try, which are so cheap to buy that it is not worth it.

But for a $16 file, even getting half another life out of it could be a good deal. I’m not sure about the corners though.

Philbert
Wow

That’s a whole new technique on me

I don’t have access to any of my gear or I would send a couple off just to see

When I get home, hopefully in June, if no one else has taken the plunge I’ll try them out

For science and stuffs...

Thanks for schooling me

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those look like micro chisel like the 19hx is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to look up 19HX

I honestly can’t find a good enough picture to get a comparison

I have seen pictures of other Chinese chains with similar side profiles in the various threads when someone discovers a new brand of chain

Just looking at it from the side I agree it has a very linear geometric profile that might make you think it’s some weird square variant

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had to look up 19HX

I honestly can’t find a good enough picture to get a comparison

I have seen pictures of other Chinese chains with similar side profiles in the various threads when someone discovers a new brand of chain

Just looking at it from the side I agree it has a very linear geometric profile that might make you think it’s some weird square variant

b851f85cc7f5e4b1737e592c286ba1c5.jpg

c9081c2c1ab866638948ec03b571649c.jpg

Both of these are 19hx

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
:nusenuse::nusenuse:
b851f85cc7f5e4b1737e592c286ba1c5.jpg

c9081c2c1ab866638948ec03b571649c.jpg

Both of these are 19hx

So it’s harvester chain, right?

Is it considered full chisel or semi chisel or what

Looks like flat top plate, flat side plate, and a 45 degree angle jointing them instead of a 90 or a curve

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
8:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
its intresting you say the chain I took pics off looks similar to an archer. the chain was from hutzl aka farmatec
iirc I ordered the same as I did before. then those guys sent me those chains, which were different to the first lot.
ive no idea which one are the correct chains to the part number I ordered.
although I'm sure one of the types was a husky chain [1.5mm] instead of the 1.6mm that I ordered.

I will go back through my orders and see if I can make anything from it.

edit. I just looked at the chain and it looks like a micro semi chisel ( its small and rounded, no sq edges), is that a rapid super in the stihl range

Last edited:

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
:nusenuse::nusenuse:

So it’s harvester chain, right?

Is it considered full chisel or semi chisel or what

Looks like flat top plate, flat side plate, and a 45 degree angle jointing them instead of a 90 or a curve

Yes it’s harvester they call it micro chisel.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t think I have ever heard that term micro chisel before

Glad to learn something new

I didn’t mean to cause anyone to have to scramble around checking stuff out

Regards

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
its intresting you say the chain I took pics off looks similar to an archer. the chain was from hutzl aka farmatec
iirc I ordered the same as I did before. then those guys sent me those chains, which were different to the first lot.
ive no idea which one are the correct chains to the part number I ordered.
although I'm sure one of the types was a husky chain [1.5mm] instead of the 1.6mm that I ordered.

I will go back through my orders and see if I can make anything from it.

edit. I just looked at the chain and it looks like a micro semi chisel ( its small and rounded, no sq edges), is that a rapid super in the stihl range
RM in Stihl terminology I think if it's semi chisel