High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

So who now makes what chain?

Windthrown

GFY Certified!
Local time
8:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Oregon made Husqvarna chain for a long time, but recently Husky flipped to making their own chain now (somewhere in their empire).
Stihl is making and has always made their own chain (currently made in Switzerland).
Carlton was a spin-off of Oregon long ago. Oregon's parent company, Blount, has since bought them out (in 2008). Carlton chain is still made here in Milwaukie, OR, but there are knock-offs made in China.
Woodland Pro chain is re-branded Carlton made in Milwaukie, OR.
Oregon chain used to also be made here in Portland, OR, but chain manufacturing was moved to the US Midwest and Canada some time ago.
Blount also bought out Windsor in 2000 and I am not sure where their chains are made now (or if the brand is even still around).

Personally I only use Stihl and Carlton (Woodland Pro) chain. Both are good and hard. I have found Oregon chain to be too soft.

Last edited:

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
11:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All my carlton chain says made in Canada including my woodland pro is that random or do they make carlton in the us also ??? I had assumed it was all made in Canada image.jpg

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
5:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I agree, Carlton makes an excellent chain

Rather crude chain, based on the few I have used (and the lack of a low-vibe chassis). Dull "out of the box".

I stay away from Carlton (and WP) chain.

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Oregon made Husqvarna chain for a long time, but recently Husky flipped to making their own chain now (somewhere in their empire). .....

This was supposed to happen in 2015, but I haven't seen any signs that it actually happened yet - have you?

"Somewhere in their empire" is supposed to be Sweden this time, even though the initial rumors said Norway.

greendohn

firewood hack
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oregon and I think Total is what my stealership has always sold me..recently picked up a loop of Stihl RS, very pleased with the RS, at 33 clams a loop it's kinda' steep but I'll be buying more of it!

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This was supposed to happen in 2015, but I haven't seen any signs that it actually happened yet - have you?

"Somewhere in their empire" is supposed to be Sweden this time, even though the initial rumors said Norway.

No mention of the factory in the 2015 year end Husqvarna report. I guess we will have to wait for the 2015 annual report to see if they comment on it.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just tried stihl rs the first time sharpest chain outta box I've seen mine seemed awful grabby out of the box anyone else notice that?

Windthrown

GFY Certified!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

I do not know what has actually happened regarding Husky chain manufacturing. Most of my info came from local news articles about it and the impact on Blount/Oregon when Husky made the decision to stop sourcing Oregon chain. They do not make Oregon chain here any more though, and I do not buy or use it. Nor do I go to the Husky/Kubota shop here any more. Blount is also a mysterious multi-national empire and does not publish a lot about what it does or where it makes stuff.

I would imagine that Husky had a large inventory of Oregon chain product to unload though.

Windthrown

GFY Certified!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
All my carlton chain says made in Canada including my woodland pro is that random or do they make carlton in the us also ??? I had assumed it was all made in Canada View attachment 10962

Oregon chain manufacturing is (or was the last time I researched it) split between the US midwest and Canada. Not much Oregon product made here in Oregon any more. Oregon and Carlton are both owned by Blount, Inc. and Blount moves production of products (chain, bars, etc). around between manufacturing locations here, the US Midwest and in Canada. Likely Blount is shifting Carlton production from inside Oregon state to other locations as they see fit (as they did earlier with Oregon). Blount INC is still located in Portland, Oregon though.

My bet is that Blount is moving Carlton production out of Oregon now as the lefties here are all screaming for a $15 an hour minimum wage here. The minimum wage in Oregon is already high at $9.25 an hour. That is well above the US minimum wage of $7.25 an hour. Business taxes here are also high and recently they passed an even higher tax on business, so as a result a lot of business is being moved out of state. Too expensive to make anything here any more. It may also be that now that Oregon is not supplying Husky chain that they (Blount) is shifting Oregon chain production over to Carlton chain production in places like Canada.

Last edited:

Windthrown

GFY Certified!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
By the way, the history of Oregon and Carlton locally is:

After WWII, Oregon was founded in Portland, OR in 1947. Ray Carlton was an engineer at Oregon and in 1963 he peeled off and started his own chain company located in Milwaukie, a suburb SE of Portland. In 1985 Oregon was bought out by Blount, INC. Blount later bought Frederick Manufacturing, located in Kansas City, Missouri in 1997, and they moved a lot of the Oregon product production there from Portland after that. In 2002 Blount INC moved to the Oregon facility in Portland, OR from Alabama. In 2008 Blount bought out Carlton.

Blount is a multinational company and they manufacture stuff in the United States, Canada, Brazil and China. Both Oregon and Carlton are becoming more internationally made products. Carlton loops were until recently mostly made near me here in Milwaukie, OR, but Carlton production seem to be shifting more to Canada now, and Oregon loops are made mostly in Missouri and Canada. But they also make both Oregon and Carlton licensed stuff in China now as well, and some stuff is now also being made in Brazil. There are also knock-offs of both being cranked out in China.

cdixon

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I posted in another reply my opinion that Stihl is the best. I still have I loop of Sabre 22" Chain. Sabre Saw Chain was originally made by the Townsend Saw Chain company around the Columbia SC area. Then purchased by Homelite Textron. It was the best American Saw Chain avabile. In the early 2000's a local small engine shop here was making loops of this Chain and out selling all other Brands at other dealers. But in most of corporate America. Homelite and Sabre got sold off offshore. IE China. It took me 2 Carolton files and the Husky roller combo guide to straighten this loop back out after hitting 2 eye bolts and plastic coated Stainless clothes line growed up in a large maple. My wrist hurt but it was worth it. It took a razor edge. Like Sthil loops. Oregon products don't. That is why I choose Tri Link over Oregon. I will get another 5 cord at least with it with a Tri Link back up. Guess how bought Sabre. It ain't Oregon . Tri Link was the winner. And there goes another piece of Amercian history.

Last edited:

Toad22t

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I still like my stihl chain. I'm just glad I got a bunch of loops before the price jump! Now it's higher priced but I should be good to go for now!

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I get half used 20" lgx from a logger buddy. My favorite tho is stihl, but I don't like the price. Next on my list is carlton.
I ended up with a few 20 and 24" loops of lgx from left coast supplies when they were on sale. Half the cutters on one side were so hard I couldn't square file them, or round file for that matter. I've had to use my Dremel with a diamond hone on those

Toad22t

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I got a new loop of lgx and almost half of the cutters weren't even sharpened yet!

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've heard of this happening with carlton chain as well I love carlton it's what I prefer I've never seen it on any chain I've bought though

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've heard of this happening with carlton chain as well I love carlton it's what I prefer I've never seen it on any chain I've bought though
Me neither. That nk lo pro I got was semi too. Cuts sweet

cdixon

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Got two loops of LGX cutter sharpness was fair. Sharpen good. The drive links wore out at 75% of the cutter life left. Had to trash both loops. Drivers couldn't be straightened out. I've seen cold formed angle iron that was tuffer. Got egg on my face after talking them up. Then I threw one shortly after. They cut well but the drivers were as soft as a 5 min. old dog turd. No more for me. Unless they are the only thing avabile.

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Got two loops of LGX cutter sharpness was fair. Sharpen good. The drive links wore out at 75% of the cutter life left. Had to trash both loops. Drivers couldn't be straightened out. I've seen cold formed angle iron that was tuffer. Got egg on my face after talking them up. Then I threw one shortly after. They cut well but the drivers were as soft as a 5 min. old dog turd. No more for me. Unless they are the only thing avabile.

In which way were the drivers worn out?

Wore out drivers usually is a result of running the chain of a bar with a too shallow slot, or they can be damaged by a wore out sprocket. In neither case is the chain to blame.