Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We broke a head stud on a 1062 455 inter when replacing the cylinder sleeves
The set of 12 studs were more expensive than the 4 cylinder sleeves & seals
And as these things always go, the PTO clutch packed it in a few months latter and apparently the clutches were a local part that is unobtanium

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
7:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl does use a ton of piston and case castings from the Brazil plant that they own, they also do the final machine work on rough castings in house at Virginia Beach from what I hear and just opened a brand new battery plant in Virginia Beach also for the battery tools.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
8:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kolbenschmitt
First year or two of production on many of the older models. Usually after the first year, they’d switch to Mahle. Everything that I’ve seen lately on new saws has been a Stihl cylinder.

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First year or two of production on many of the older models. Usually after the first year, they’d switch to Mahle. Everything that I’ve seen lately on new saws has been a Stihl cylinder.
Stihl jugs have the BR mostly 261 from 2018 and then the others that's BRAZIL.
Many cylinders are also German
But pistons in a few models like 661 keep on coming from KS. Originally it was Gillardoni jug,KS piston, now the dark Stihl cylinder and KS piston

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl jugs have the BR mostly 261 from 2018 and then the others that's BRAZIL.
Many cylinders are also German
But pistons in a few models like 661 keep on coming from KS. Originally it was Gillardoni jug,KS piston, now the dark Stihl cylinder and KS piston
Which is fine it’s all this bs that people try and spread that Stihl is just buying friggin farmertec pistons and cylinders now is complete bs thats all. Stihl still makes majority of major components in house at Stihl controlled plants that includes China. Also all the bs of all the new pro saws wearing a china cylinder and the ms 250’s and stuff being made in China for here is ba also. Only China equipment I’ve seen till this day is the fs38 and the cheapest hedge trimmer that uses the same engine. You don’t know the countless times people try telling me they see Stihl saws with made in China on us shelves. Ask for a picture of saw in front of shelf with an American dealer’s price label on it and I’ll maybe believe it but not one photo has ever shown up.

thompsoncustom

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Which is fine it’s all this bs that people try and spread that Stihl is just buying friggin farmertec pistons and cylinders now is complete bs thats all. Stihl still makes majority of major components in house at Stihl controlled plants that includes China. Also all the bs of all the new pro saws wearing a china cylinder and the ms 250’s and stuff being made in China for here is ba also. Only China equipment I’ve seen till this day is the fs38 and the cheapest hedge trimmer that uses the same engine. You don’t know the countless times people try telling me they see Stihl saws with made in China on us shelves. Ask for a picture of saw in front of shelf with an American dealer’s price label on it and I’ll maybe believe it but not one photo has ever shown up.
If your interested in where the pro saws are made or the ms250 cylinder comes from just ask them. If you are specific with your questions they seem to give answers but there stuff is made all over the world.

Not sure it matters where any of it is made if your happy with your saw does it matter if it's made in the USA, Germany, or China?

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If your interested in where the pro saws are made or the ms250 cylinder comes from just ask them. If you are specific with your questions they seem to give answers but there stuff is made all over the world.

Not sure it matters where any of it is made if your happy with your saw does it matter if it's made in the USA, Germany, or China?
I know most of them are Brazil and some
Germany. The little saws are Brazil and the big pro saws German or Brazilian. They also cast cases in Brazil, where it’s made matters to some more than others. Me it’s not the where so much as the who, you get a ton of people that spout off about Stihl basically buy off the shelf parts from an aftermarket supplier and building a saw. This isn’t the case even on the cheap saws they make their own cylinders whether it’s china or Brazil or Germany it’s a Stihl part that they have control over. One older mahle made 025 cylinder and some new ms250 and ms 170 cylinders with br and Stihl cast in them. Br is the Brazilian cast stuff and the 170’s as cheap as it gets saw wise so if it’s not China then none are. Maybe the ultra new ones have a stihl cylinder cast in China but these aren’t that old.

Attachments

• IMG_7581.png
    IMG_7581.png
    460.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7587.png
    IMG_7587.png
    322.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7589.png
    IMG_7589.png
    533.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7588.png
    IMG_7588.png