High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

So pissed right now!

DELETED (Struggle)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Tried to use my debit card on my tree service and some lower than dirt bags somehow stole my. Card electronically and charged around 1-2K on the card multiple times at different locations in Mexico and. Places all over the interwebs.

On Monday I will go to the bank. And close all my debit cards out permanently. My. Blood is boiling. It seems the. Harder you try. To work there is someone out there trying harder to find a way to not work and. Live off you stealing.

Gosh does this ever make me mad can you tell? This isn't the first time. We have. Lost a card to theft like this. First with a debit card. Though. No longer will I have debit cards anymore. I will roll to the bank instead and get cash or just use a regular credit card.

I have heard stories of accounts getting hacked this way. That can't hack them if there's no card attached to them. Arrrgh.

I'm up for public hangings to begin again. I will volunteer my trees at my house for the first ones!

Sent from somewhere

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
9:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That sucks happened to me back when the miners were stuck in Chile.While we was in Minnesota for a week somehow someone bought 2 plane tickets to Chile first class one way.When Igot back to Michigan went to buy a few hundred dollars in supplies for a job that I was starting.They ran my business card It was getting rejected called bank so all funds were on hold do to suspicios activity.I had to go down fill out fraudulant papers took a couple days for everthing to be strightened out.It was a covered threw the bank card.Hopefully you have the same turn out and its covered like mine was.

DELETED (Struggle)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I only show one charge on my account that wasn't me and they shut the card off. When I called tonight there were several charges they listed off in Mexico and other areas of the states. So wether or not they got that money I have no idea. Thankfully it was flagged after the one charge of $20 that got through to my account.

As of Monday we will no longer have ate cards. Not worth the risk. It has something to do with when the card gets cleared through a retailers system they steal the card numbers I guess. I have only used that card at local businesses. It has never been used on the interwebs.

A while back a friend of ours (worked at a bank) once said to never use an atm card for debit purchase ever. Only us it at the bank atm and no more. I guess she was right.

Sent from somewhere

Ironworker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Same thing just happened to us, someone made a stub hub purchase of $800 with our credit card, we were covered though so no biggie. I'm sure you were covered too, it's the feeling of getting violated that sucks, I didn't mind so much but the wife was a little pissed off. I recently just got life lock, they notify me of everything out of the ordinary.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My bank won't let my cards work out of state as credit. You have to use your PIN number. I guess it's safer that way. If I travel I have to physically go to bank and fill out a form where I'm going to allow charges.
I got stuck a couple times before I knew this. Some retailers don't do debit.
But I guess it's better than being ripped off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KZ1000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It is a Biggy! If we don't start hanging these trash it will never end. I could give a rats ass about being politically correct or if they were dressed funny when they were young.
Sorry that it happened to you.

polkat

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I never had a debit and never will if. When your debit card gets stolen thats your money and have ti prove it to the bank that could take a while. When your credit card gets stolen thats the banks money and they dont like their money stolen. I us my employer's credit card a lot and the number has been stolen numerous times the bank will lock out the card I call them and we go down the list of official purchases and the ones made by the perp. They delete all the fraud ones right there on the spot.. Try doing that with a debit card

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A guy told me to get a debit card and real credit card. Use the debit to get cash out and the credit card for everything else. That way they're aren't linked and if they get the credit card it's the banks money they're messing with first.

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man, that sucks. Had same thing happen to me a couple months ago. I was told it was either done with a skimmer that steals your information electronically, or some kid at a drive thru or something wrote down the numbers from card and sold them.
As others have mentioned, debit cards are well protected if you use them like a credit card. Never enter your pin anywhere except a bank. Many stores try to push you toward entering pin, because then they don't have to pay the credit card company's fees.
Tough! I only use it as credit except for the actual ATM.
I'm sure your bank will take care of you, but a real pain in the ass, and I agree with you in your anger at these scumbags!

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Baileys had a data breach and 15,000 card numbers were stolen. If you bought something online from them since September (IIRC) you might of had your number stolen. Check their web site about the data breach details.

DELETED (Struggle)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This card was never used online. Only local businesses. What sucks is it was really nice as I needed parts or fuel for the tree service I put it n that card so I don't have to funnel money through my personal account to keep track of reciepts. That is what will happen now by just using my personal card for buying from now on. I don't want to get a business card at this point. Might down the road though. I only have to talk to the bank about the $20 charge.

None of the other ones stuck in the account. So at worst case I'm out $20 but I'm pretty sure the bank will clear that up as we have a small town bank. I don't have to fight this in a big bank. These people know us on a first name basis which is a good thing around here.

I think this is the third or fourth time we have dealt with this and the issue seems to be retailers don't do enough to protect credit card data. I used my pin everywhere on this card. My personal ATM card I have never used and it will get destroyed on Monday. No more for me on the direct link to my personal accounts.

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't had a debit/bank card in 25 years. The first ones were terrible for reliability. My kids card has been hacked twice. Cash or check, Credit card with a low limit for me. Much as I dislike PayPal it works well on line.

stihl saws

You can always justify another saw.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My bank card has been frozen/replaced twice because of this bs. The bank has always caught it and covered me, but it still sucks. I never use it as a debit either.

Danders

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I only show one charge on my account that wasn't me and they shut the card off. When I called tonight there were several charges they listed off in Mexico and other areas of the states. So wether or not they got that money I have no idea. Thankfully it was flagged after the one charge of $20 that got through to my account.

I'm guessing you won't get dinged for the charge that caused the card to get shut down. There's so much of that crap going on now the banks I think are getting better about dealing with it. I carry a customer service number with me in case the card I need to use has been shut down. Learned that the hard way at the gas station once.

I may be living on the ragged edge, but I use a debit card for everything. Mainly in an effort to keep from spending more than I got. I don't disagree with any of the comments about using a credit card instead of a debit card, and may move that direction eventually myself.

Sure wish the lowlife that are putting so much effort into stealing what someone else has worked for would redirect those efforts into something more productive. Until that happens, a few public hangings couldn't hurt.

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use debit card a lot also. The important thing is to use it like a credit card, always sign for purchases, don't enter pin. As soon as it is processed as MC or Visa, they are on the hook. Not your personal account.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't believe the U.S. is still so far behind the rest of the world in this. Every card we have not only has a magnetic strip but also a micro chip in it. You now longer swipe the stripe you have to input the card into the reader. As yet crooks haven't been able to replicate the chip security so the only way to rip you off is online. Also makes it "impossible" to get your info unless you use your card online.
In the original OP's case his cars would never have been compromised if only used locally and in person. Your comment about Small Town Bank is part of the problem. In Canada we have about 6 main banks, a lot easier to get buy in on improved security standards from 6 people than hundreds or thousands.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

DELETED (Struggle)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No more debit cards for us. I had bank shut them all down. Cash, regular credit card and PayPal from now on.

Sent from somewhere