Simington / Silvey Square Chain Grinders Tips/Tricks/Secrets

Greenthorn

Least Informed OPE Member
Local time
11:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, I've got the 451c. I would like this page to be about using them. Although any other square grinders are more than welcome, and encouraged, to comment and give advice....the more the merrier. I'm pretty sure you pros out there consistently take the same approach. The biggest tip or secret I have is "bright lighting" and use a "magnifying glass." I know...pretty lame, but that's why I'm starting this thread. Hope to make this a valuable thread and try to learn from you all. What are some of the things that really help you the most when doing square grinding? What are some of the more important aspects to consider? Thanks.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
6:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What angles are your dressers on and where does the corner on the cutter intersect? Pictures of the cutters or a tooth on the wheel where it would grind will help

Greenthorn

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you're asking for mine, I have no idea, factory setting from simmington. I'm gonna need to know that?:oops:
The stone is meeting perfect on the outside corner of the tooth, but down on the inside of the tooth, it is not meeting so good on the inside corner, I will try to get some pics. Am I going to need an angle finder for me to get truly serious about this?

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You only need an angle finder if you want to copy someone else's angles. Pictures will help. If you can't get them to post I'll send you my number and you can text me.

nixon

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The stone is meeting perfect on the outside corner of the tooth, but down on the inside of the tooth, it is not meeting so good on the inside corner, I will try to get some pics. Am I going to need an angle finder for me to get truly serious about this?
could be way off base here . But, I don't think lining up the grind on the inside corner of the cutter is what you need ,or really want to do . Definately the outside corner .

Greenthorn

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry, can't get real good pics, gonna break out the Nikon tomorrow and see if they will take better pics. On another note this chain pic I ground this morning, and it cut a lot better.
Right click picts and open in a new tab to see full pics, let me know if I can display these pics any differently.

028.jpg 032.jpg

Greenthorn

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know why I can't quote your replies, but no, I did not know that, I thought it was why I hadn't been sharpening correctly, I was trying to make the inside and outside meet up.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can call Madsens and ask to talk to one of the guys that knows grinders. They can walk you through some changes as well. The picture doesn't look bad what I can see. Is the chain self feeding good?

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So what are you wanting to change on that chain?

Greenthorn

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know what I would want or need to change, I am just unsure of myself, this is uncharted territory for me...haha.
I sent treeslinger some chains to sharpen, and his cut a lot better than what my sharpening is, faster thru the cut anyway. Maybe I am over thinking it?
I think the 3 that cut really bad I messed something up, but today's cut great and I didn't do anything different?

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Clean those gullets out past the side plate once. You'll get 2 or 3 sharpenings before you have to do it again. That little step can dig into the wood if it gets too far

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don't know what I would want or need to change, I am just unsure of myself, this is uncharted territory for me...haha.
I sent treeslinger some chains to sharpen, and his cut a lot better than what my sharpening is, faster thru the cut anyway. Maybe I am over thinking it?
I think the 3 that cut really bad I messed something up, but today's cut great and I didn't do anything different?
I hope you aren't expecting to replicate Jasha's chainwork with just a "few tips" . his depth of knowledge is legendary. Great standard to judge by though. One can hope.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
3:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking at someone elses chain helped me a lot.

The Junkman sent me some chain......and a few other guys have too. When I set up my Simington, I used Brian's chain as a reference.
My angles are much different now ,i will try to find some of my latest samples and post them ,Hedgerow pointed out strait up side plate or slight minimal hook in one i did ,it seems to be a little smoother this way