Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
6:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did this one for a 346. It seems to run great even with the stock carb. View attachment 236025
Anyone that knows me, knows that I’m going to be working on getting a second exit ......... BUT, I’m 100% with you !!

Ive yet to see a HUGE muffler mod adversly effect performance, once re-tuned !

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
3:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone that knows me, knows that I’m going to be working on getting a second exit ......... BUT, I’m 100% with you !!

Ive yet to see a HUGE muffler mod adversly effect performance, once re-tuned !
Yep a little more fuel and everything is fine. May need to try a second pipe outlet on one of my 346's.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found in my experiences that idling and ease of tuning can get sorta worse/erratic if it is a big outlet on the front cover straight out. Hard to explain. The noise is also more obnoxious. I think it depends on the particular saw and maybe the carb/porting. Kevin’s are side outlets which probably helps. The exhaust has to turn before it exits.

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any pros/cons to using pipe vs. Deflectors?
To me, yes .......... a HUGE difference.
Notice how the pipes I install are angled to the side, thats to get the exhaust away from my face, and it works great.

Secondary to me is the noise. From an operators standpoint, it is a little louder.

Moparmyway you need more things stuck to your pencil sharpener LOL
Who doesnt love a magnet ??
Great for keeping the little things that like to run away and hide when nobody is looking

Have you tested a square hole in the front/front deflector vs your muffler design with the pipes with both having the same outlet area to see if one idled or tuned better? Would be interesting to see the outcome.
@Red97 deflectors are friggin awesome, he offers a bunch of sizes and even stainless for the new Stihl saws. I know other guys are making deflectors now, but Joe has been awesome to work with and he has worked hard to respond to requests for custom sizes. His variety is rediculous, guaranteed he has something to fit any saw !

Hole out the front: For a worksaw, I'll NEVER send out a muffler with a hole out the front, I've seen wood burn and catch fire, plus the operator has to breathe in all of the exhaust and crap the exhaust stirrs up ............... holes out the front are for play saws only (to me).

Performance advantage: I have my theories and ideas, but they are more suited for conversations, too much typing hurts my hair

I have found pipes give the exhaust note a deeper, throaty sound. Can be more challenging to use and make them look nice but I like em.

They are much more of a challenge to use, harder to weld, harder to fit, and usually like to interfere with the chainbrake.

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are much more of a challenge to use, harder to weld, harder to fit, and usually like to interfere with the chainbrake.

I braze my pipes in and haven't had any real issues with fitment or clearance but I'm careful and meticulous. I've always loved the pipes on the old Poulans, like the 5200's, so l try to model em after those.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk