High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

SHOW ME YOUR AXES

Isaac

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Whats everyones favorite felling axe and wedge driver? I kinda like this Stihl by OchsenkopfView attachment 36281

It's a good axe, I own one. The handle length is perfect. Nice poll for driving wedges too. After I used it a few times the head loosened a little. It seems that it fixed itself, so not too worried about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
11:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a good axe, I own one. The handle length is perfect. Nice poll for driving wedges too. After I used it a few times the head loosened a little. It seems that it fixed itself, so not too worried about it.

Doesnt it tighten with a screw?

Isaac

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Doesnt it tighten with a screw?

I think that is mainly for safety. To keep the head from coming completely off. One thing I didn't consider is maybe the head wasn't loose. Could have been the metal over strike collar sliding back and forth.

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think that is mainly for safety. To keep the head from coming completely off. One thing I didn't consider is maybe the head wasn't loose. Could have been the metal over strike collar sliding back and forth.

I picked one up today at the local Stihl shop and it feels like excellent quality

Isaac

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think you will like it. I really like mine. I felled two hard leaners the other day. "Literally" beat two wedges in half. I feel it's safe to say it's good quality LOL. They head stayed on, so I'd say I'm good there too. [emoji6]

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Over the last ten years my splitting mauls have been sub $50 big box store specials. Until about 2 years ago when I got an X27, X25 and S2800. The new composite axes had me besotted, I thought they were very clever and gone were the days I'd swing clumsy 8-10lb big box clunkers. This all changed the other day when a I picked up an axe at elderly lady customers and asked her about it. Her husband passed many years ago and the rusty axe that was living outside she said, 'take it if its any good, I won't use it'. I offered to clean the rust and sharpen it for her as she is a good customer that regularly puts money in my pocket but she insisted I have it. I knew nothing about this rusty axe, really thought I'd clean it up for fun but it would not be any real use for me with what I already have. I was very wrong & my assumptions were too.1475715149924.jpg Well folks the axe above is an old PLUMB Tasmanian. I noticed how hard the steel was on die grinder stones, it was a lot harder than any axe/maul I'd previously put an edge on. After taking the Plumb too the woodpile for a side by side comparison with my X27, in short order I knew what split Ozzy hardwood the best. The old rusty axe had an X-factor about it, a real pleasure to use. A tiny bit heavier than the X27 with slightly shorter handle but packed a LOT more punch when it struck a round. This axe literally made my jaw drop, it may be many decades old but its perfect!

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That axe looks really nice Kieth. Stihl axe catalogue IMO has some of their best value products. That look of the Stihl axe makes you want to grab it and run to the woodpile.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I bought a competition Keech throwing axe new from Carson Bosworth back when I was into this stuff.
This KeeSteel axe head dont bend like those cheaper throwing axe heads do when you miss the target
wink.gif

IMG_1557.jpg
IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1556.jpg

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was in an Ace Hardware last week and saw they had a very large selection of Collins axes/hatchets. Any experience with today's Collins tools; are they as good as the older ones?

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a competition Keech throwing axe new from Carson Bosworth back when I was into this stuff.
This KeeSteel axe head dont bend like those cheaper throwing axe heads do when you miss the target
wink.gif

IMG_1557.jpg
IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1556.jpg
Nice throw. I like the shirt

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a few "good" axes. I have an older Stihl that is a rebranded Oxhead. It is the smaller axe like loggers use. It is my felling wedge axe. Makes a good camp ace and it stays in my truck. I have two Fiskars, one X27 and a camo axe. Good axes and the 27 splits like a dream, but I like wood and steel. I also have a Council Velvicut, an old Plumb double bit, and a Gransfors Bruks felling axe. The bushcraft world has made it hard to find good, old axes online. I enjoy bushcraft as well, but the bearded hipster type buys them as decorations instead of working tools.