Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
5:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey folks.

I am wondering what peoples opinions are on stroke length to bore diameter in a saw when it comes to performance.

The older 0X8 series saws generally had a larger bore diameter and shorter stroke than the 0X4 and 0X6 series saws.

I don't see many people porting and hotting up 028's and 038's but plenty of red hot 064's, 026's 036's, 044's etc etc

whats the go with bore:stroke ratio?

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Having just rebuilt a couple 038 Magnums, I was really impressed with them.
Yeah they weigh a bit more but that are absolute tanks built to last.
One I ported, the other is stock and the ported one really sticks out. Its gone from lethargic to WOW! I'm calling that it will give my ported 10mm 044 a scare...... maybe.

So...... larger bore means more force on the piston for a given compression as force = pressure x area
A longer stroke for a given bore diameter will result in more CC's thus more power obviously but what happens when we the bore:storke ratio on a given CC size saw?

038 magnum: 52mm bore : 34mm stroke = 1.53:1
044: 50mm bore : 36mm stroke = 1.39:1

I tend to look at the changes in new saws as brought about to conform to EPA regs, not what works best

What works best?

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is a theory...
Same cc's, larger bore has more surface area for the pressure to exert force on, thus it should be torquier. Like a 5" ram on a log splitter vs a 4". Same psi, much more force. At the same time the shorter stroke seems like it would be able to spin faster, more rpm.

But on the other hand a longer stroke has more leverage, which increases torque...

So I have no idea! [emoji2]

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember a couple terms that refer to this; over-square and under-square. One refers to engines where the bore is greater than the stroke, other refers to bore smaller than stroke....i think. not sire if this is exactly what u mean but if so theres some good reading out there on this.

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is a theory...
Same cc's, larger bore has more surface area for the pressure to exert force on, thus it should be torquier. Like a 5" ram on a log splitter vs a 4". Same psi, much more force. At the same time the shorter stroke seems like it would be able to spin faster, more rpm.

but it will also require more force on the upward stroke to compress the fresh charge which will slow the rotating assembly and reduce torque?

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think optimal rod ratio may have more to do with engine longevity than anything else. Many specialty performance engine builders don't think it's important. But they aren't building for long term. A Mopar 318 has a ratio of 1.80(apx). When was the last time you heard of one blowing up?

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wrist pin placement also has a bearing on rod angle. Richard Ehrenburg a former Chrysler Engineer wrote an article years ago in Mopar Action magazine discussing this topic.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
but it will also require more force on the upward stroke to compress the fresh charge which will slow the rotating assembly and reduce torque?

In my mind I see that as slowing the saw down but not reducing torque. Torque is force applied, which comes from the "power stroke", which happens after secondary compression.

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Big bore short stroke will likely have a tighter case than a long stroke saw.
Not quoting your post as an absolute Joe but the 661 is a good example of this when compared to the same cc size of the 660.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
2:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've noticed on longer stroke engines the distance from the squish band to the top of the exhaust port is greater for the same degrees of rotation. An 046 is gonna be 24mm or so at 100°, and a 7900 is gonna be about 26mm.

I think that matters......a longer power stroke in the same amount of crankshaft rotation.