High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Sealant on oil seal

mtnwkr

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to install new seals on the 441. I was looking through the manual and it states to apply sealant to the outer edge of the seal.

From the manual

– Thinly coat the outer
circumference of the oil seal with
sealant, b 17.

Is that normal practice? I've never seen sealant referenced anywhere on all of the threads I've read. I have some Permatex Ultra Grey, would that work or should I get something else?
Thanks all.. :borra2:

peter92

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
ive never put any on saw seals but i do on my cruiser , stops the oil seeping out from the edge of the seal and case
maybe thats why they said to use it or help hold it in
Peter

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Clamshell saws i do can't be helped really any other seals no never heard of that.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If I think the seal may be questionable I'll put a little red loctite on a q-tip and apply a thin coat to lightly lubricate the case surface which in turn seals any areas needed. Though it sure is a *b-word getting a seal back out that's been glued in. The puller folds the entire rim out and then you have to use a flat head as a punch to taco fold it out without galling the race all up.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to install new seals on the 441. I was looking through the manual and it states to apply sealant to the outer edge of the seal.

From the manual

– Thinly coat the outer
circumference of the oil seal with
sealant, b 17.

Is that normal practice? I've never seen sealant referenced anywhere on all of the threads I've read. I have some Permatex Ultra Grey, would that work or should I get something else?
Thanks all.. :borra2:
K

I have yamabond. I use yamabond because it's cheap and easy for me to get. And it works.
The SM does say to lube inner lip and seal outer yet interestingly enough I've never seen evidence of either upon removal.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW from my experience on the 10 series Macs which are clam shell the older ones had used gasket shellac,Indian head on the case halves and around the seals .The newer ones used blue RTV .
I use a little bit of #2 permatex myself .The problem with red Loctite is once it sets it takes 400 degrees of heat to release it .Blue Loctite would work if that's what you have .

Now I have a Stihl 038 mag that spent a tough life in service for a tree service .That one for some reason would blow out the clutch side seal .I red loctited that rascal and it's never blown out again .

1990Husky262

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always put a thin film on pretty much any seal i install. Ensures there are no leaks from around the seal (have had it happen) and seems to lubricate and ease assembly but does not make it any harder to remove seal in the future for replacement. My preferred sealant is yamabond #4 seems to work good for me. Other sealants could have varying results.

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
For the clam shells with the soft seals I use dirko, but with the metal seals I don't use anything, I do put some grease on the rubber lip of the seal to aid in sealing. Never had a problem yet. All the metal seals I have pulled have had no evidence of being sealed with a sealer in the past.

mtnwkr

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks Guys. Seals went in nice and easy! I used a little electricians tape to help ease the seal over the lip on the oil pump side. White lithium grease, grey permatex and a couple large sockets were the tickets. Hoping to put it all back together tomorrow.

32659415262_c981725949_b.jpg

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Pressure and vac test ?
Don't put it together without it...

Make sure you rotate the crank while under vac and pressure. Had one the other day that held perfect until I rotated crank...would only lose vac while being turned.