064 Oil Pump Replacement - fragile hose

arborlicious

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've just replaced the oil pump on a friends 064 AV after the old one had seized (also taking the worm gear with it.) It's all working well–my first time running an 064–man, what a beast.

Anyway, the new (AU$140) OEM oil pump came with a straight piece of hose already attached but it seemed very hard/brittle compared to hoses on newer saws. Wondering if that's because this new pump was very old stock so the hose had hardened over time sitting around the stihl warehouse. Or is that the way they were 20 years ago too, i.e. hard and fragile?

I used a heat gun to aid in getting an initial bend to save kinking it during the install.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've just replaced the oil pump on a friends 064 AV after the old one had seized (also taking the worm gear with it.) It's all working well–my first time running an 064–man, what a beast.

Anyway, the new (AU$140) OEM oil pump came with a straight piece of hose already attached but it seemed very hard/brittle compared to hoses on newer saws. Wondering if that's because this new pump was very old stock so the hose had hardened over time sitting around the stihl warehouse. Or is that the way they were 20 years ago too, i.e. hard and fragile?

I used a heat gun to aid in getting an initial bend to save kinking it during the install.
The 064 and 036 use that oil line. You do have to heat it and bend it into place. Try to not pinch it anywhere either. Its a *b-word to do!

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Soak it in boiling hot water and it should bend just enough, or a heat gun. You just don't want to over heat it.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I couldn't get it with hot water so I used a heat gun. Didn't get it hot enough the first time and pinched it. The second time went great though.

arborlicious

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tested the hot air gun on the old oil hose first to see what it could take. Boiling hot water did not work.

Not sure about a spring in the hose. It's working now and the oil flow looked fine.

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tested the hot air gun on the old oil hose first to see what it could take. Boiling hot water did not work.

Not sure about a spring in the hose. It's working now and the oil flow looked fine.
Nice to see you posting on the forum Steve! I agree that black hose is super difficult to work with, and I totally agree on doing one on the 084, super super difficult! Don't forget the little brass push in plug behind the bar plate, thats important to properly seal the hose in place:
20200926_153549.jpg
How did you get on with the 661c?

Dasser82

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found replacing the oil hose on my 064 was a real pain as well - glad to hear I'm not the only one! Great saws!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found replacing the oil hose on my 064 was a real pain as well - glad to hear I'm not the only one! Great saws!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
The replacement hose is just long enough to do it twice. That's should tell you that your going to fugg it up once!

arborlicious

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice to see you posting on the forum Steve! I agree that black hose is super difficult to work with, and I totally agree on doing one on the 084, super super difficult! Don't forget the little brass push in plug behind the bar plate, thats important to properly seal the hose in place:
How did you get on with the 661c?

I had my mates saw back together before noticing the little brass plug in the plastic bag. I'll have to sort that out next time.

Still no luck with the 661C. The new 3/8" heli-coils seem to be too long which is strange given that the threaded portion of the spark plug is 3/8". If I wind the heli-coil in so it's just flush with the outside, some of the coil–a single 'threads' worth–is protruding inside the cylinder. I'll take a picture later and send it to you.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
4:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone know why that oiler hose has to be so brittle/stiff? Seems like overkill to me. I cannot imagine the oil pump is strong enough to flatten out a typical fuel line hose. Potential kink or collapse at the bend is all I can think of.

Last edited:

Glennmac

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone know why that oiler hose has to be so brittle/stiff? Seems like overkill to me. I cannot imagine the oil pump is strong enough to flatten out a typical fuel line hose. Potential kink or collapse the bend is all I can think of.

I agree, seems like overkill. How hot can b&c oil be? I have used Tygon before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The case itself gets pretty warm. (Just speculation here)—Stihl’s engineers must have noticed problems with older saws and went to the harder line to prevent collapsing and melting. I’ve seen them fail from the clutch drum wobbling around and taking things out.

OEM is best, but only a step down is Stihl’s fuel line with a properly sized 1/8” spring installed along with the brass insert. I’ve used it on 1125s and 1122s (064) with no issues so far. Going on 8 years for a couple of them with my typical “moderate” use.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Cool build.

I swapped out the original oil feed hoses on my 084 saws to another type of white plastic stuff. I mill... so far so good. No clamps and no spring.