Scag Liberty Z won't start!!!!!

Keith Littlepage

Active OPE Member
Local time
7:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kohler KT725 on Scag Liberty Z won't try to start using the key. I can start it by turning the key and jumping across the solenoid but nothing with using the key. I checked all safety switches and they are good. What could be the problem? Bad solenoid, ignition switch, etc.? Thanks

Keith Littlepage

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put my red probe on the big post where the positive battery post is connected. I'm getting 12.5v on every post on the 4 post solenoid. That shouldn't be showing that should it? What would cause that?

GMB74

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you have 12.5v on both of the small terminals of the solenoid, you have a ground problem through the safety switch circuit.
Likely a safety switch is being activated, is defective or a bad connection/ broken wire to one of the switches.
Recheck your safety switches.
Is your PTO switch on?

Keith Littlepage

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I checked all safety switches to make sure they wasn't bad and all of them check good. But I haven't checked the wiring coming to each one. Would the solenoid or ignition switch be bad?

GMB74

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I checked all safety switches to make sure they wasn't bad and all of them check good. But I haven't checked the wiring coming to each one. Would the solenoid or ignition switch be bad?
We must do more testing to determine the problem.
Does your machine have a solenoid similar to the one in this picture, with 2 large wires going to the 2 large terminals (copper colored on this one)
And 2 small wires going to the 2 small terminals (silver colored, yours may have slide-on spade terminals)?
Which wires did you jump to get it to crank?

Attachments

• IMG_3784.jpg
    IMG_3784.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 2

GMB74

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What model is your Scag, in case I need to find a wiring diagram for it?

Keith Littlepage

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No this don't look like his solenoid. It has 4 post but made different. I think his is a Trombetta or something like that . The model # is Szl-48-22KT. I went out there to look at it again and he said it started back to starting with the key yesterday afternoon and we tried it 3-4 times while I was there and it cranked everything. I don't like how the fuses are fitting in the holders. They're basically just sitting in there it don't have much tension on the fuse when you put them in. I would jump it by jumping from the positive battery post on the Solenoid to one of the small terminals. Thanks for replying.

GMB74

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The physical shape of the solenoid may be different, but all solenoids of this style operate the same way.
By jumping the wires the way you describe you are bypassing the fuses, key switch and safety switches. You had a bad connection somewhere in that circuit. It is a good possibility a poor connection at the fuse is your problem. Glad you got it figured out.