HELP! Champion Generator Model 41332 Will Only Start with Pull Rope

oldcoot

OPE Member
Local time
8:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My generator starts fine with pull rope. Starter won't turn over when using remote key fob or manual start switch on the side of the generator. Battery is fully charged. Oil level is OK. Makes a rapid clicking noise when I try to start (except with pull rope). Sounds like the starter solenoid might be stuck?? Is there a way to bypass the solenoid and try to turn over the starter itself to see if the starter is good?? Thanks.

maisl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Almost always - that's due to a failed battery or very poor connection between it & the starter relay.

The voltage starts out high enough to operate the starter relay (let's say 6V+), but drops below that when connected to the starter motor - releasing the relay, which allows the voltage to rise - so it's over 6V & the relay operates again... then immediately releases because the voltage drops

all that happens several times a second - leading to a "rapid clicking noise"

oldcoot

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Almost always - that's due to a failed battery or very poor connection between it & the starter relay.

The voltage starts out high enough to operate the starter relay (let's say 6V+), but drops below that when connected to the starter motor - releasing the relay, which allows the voltage to rise - so it's over 6V & the relay operates again... then immediately releases because the voltage drops

all that happens several times a second - leading to a "rapid clicking noise"
My battery charger (Battery Tender) says the battery is fully charged. I connected jumpers from my riding mower to the generator battery and it started up right away. Looks like I might have a bad connection somewhere, or my battery charger is giving me false info. I'll be checking tomorrow. Thanks for your reply!

maisl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
>>my battery charger is giving me false info

Very likely; dud batteries can appear ok on charging - yet fail completely under heavy load.

oldcoot

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
>>my battery charger is giving me false info

Very likely; dud batteries can appear ok on charging - yet fail completely under heavy load.
You are correct! Connected riding mower battery and it started right up. Thanks !

maisl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My pleasure - thank you for letting us know how it worked out.