Saw video thread

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ya, The speed... lack of speed gives it away. The sound is a bit weird cuz the camera was 50ft away in the garage since the trees were dripping water.

But in the saw's defense the chain is crap.
Looked like it could use a little work(on the chain), I'm sure it will look better in the next video :).
Wish I had a camera like that.

Last edited:

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At least my 590 didn't cut faster when stock, it was 1-2 seconds slower, now 4 faster.
Just to be clear I meant the chain could use a little work, the saw cut just fine for a stock saw, the AM pulley could be slowing it a thousand rpm or so in the cut though, is it a 10 pin pulley lol.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bonus points for no strato.

I bet an aggressive skip chain would have done it good by another 5 seconds.
Full comp is faster than skip almost always. Especially on a bar that size. Skip is more for long bars to help with chip clearing. Plus it’s just less teeth to file.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gotta consider half the friction when really leaning on it. I just prefer skip in hardwood. My 590 cut 4 seconds faster with a skip chain, though I didn't try full comp.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bonus points for no strato.

I bet an aggressive skip chain would have done it good by another 5 seconds.
If it wasn't real sharp it you can gain more than 5 seconds by getting it very sharp.
Play these at the same time, one with an okay chain, and one with a great chain.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sharpened it and filed the depth gauges a little, but I didn't overhaul it's uneven and bent teeth. The 359 had a new Archer skip chain. I thought it was full comp, but realized when I went to file the depth gauges. It too could cut faster with practice cutting at that saw's fastest rpm. about 26.5s for the 359 and around 24s for the 372.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If there are bad teeth in the chain, it is an unfair comparison. As Mason and others have inferred, chain sharpness and depth gauges can make a dramatic difference, and sometimes cutting style.

Comparing the two saws with the same B+C is the only fair way.

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I do generally wear PPE when cutting firewood but I had just got the saw and was excited to try it out, figured I could be careful for a few cuts, I will try and remember to wrap my thumb though, good advice is always appreciated!
Nice saw.
You need to wrap your thumb around the handle bar. It’s just a good habit

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I must’ve threw the chain 3-4 times today in a brushy patch. Not a mark on me... you know why? Because the saw had a chain catcher. Sometimes I see people run a saw without a chain catcher. Really not a good idea.