Saw video thread

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was wondering about the way the saw was dancing in the cut? All the more reason to wear chaps.
Believe it or not this was an out of the box bar and chain. I believe the issue was the wood. Very hard and dry. But I do see where both of you are coming from.
And I do usually wear chaps when I cut, but I only made about 5 or 6 cookies for video purposes only. I need to find some green wood to try. I had my prior chain that was much worse than this setup in the same wood. I took the rakers down too much on that chain. I have to file some more off the cutters to smooth it out.
Your saw is running great. I'd be hesitant to rum that chain though, for fear that it would spin or beat the PTO bearing out of the case.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Believe it or not this was an out of the box bar and chain. I believe the issue was the wood. Very hard and dry. But I do see where both of you are coming from.
And I do usually wear chaps when I cut, but I only made about 5 or 6 cookies for video purposes only. I need to find some green wood to try. I had my prior chain that was much worse than this setup in the same wood. I took the rakers down too much on that chain. I have to file some more off the cutters to smooth it out.
Save that chain for softwood. It's already set up to eat fresh pine and such.

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
3:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
A good friend of mine went out to trim a few branches one day, and he was only making three cuts....

Manofstihl066

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've had some Oregon lgx that was aggressive out of the box before.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had some Oregon lgx that was aggressive out of the box before.
Interesting. I always thought the new box chain was fairly mild. In my video it does look like it was biting. More related to wood than chain I think. I gotta go find some green wood and do a couple more vids. Saw was wicked strong though.

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting. I always thought tbe new box chain was fairly mild. In my video it does look like it was biting. More related to wood than chain I think. I gotta go find some green wood snd do a couple more vids. Saw was wicked strong though.
I find that bigger dawgs/spikes exaggerate the chain a bit and make it seem more agressive especially if you don't let the saw start biting before you push. I watched the video again and it seems your spikes are hanging up on log. Hard to say without actually being there. Does it jerk like that if you hold the saw spikes away from the wood? Many things could be contributing to the jerky cutting.... agressive chain, big spikes and a moving log?

Last edited: