Saw Diagnosis

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks! I love the 72's also. My brother had a 72 Road Runner. I rember as a kid I would watch him back out of the driveway. He would always flash the headlights at me. I found my 71 GTX in a local trader mag and had to jump all over it. It has been undergoing a restoration for a few years now. Full rotisserie job. I was told 8K more and it will be done. One day... when I finish it up my 71 Challenger will be next... I have had it since I was 15. I bought the GTX when I was 19. My whole family has always been into the Mopars. We have had Barracudas, Cudas, Road Runners, my GTX, Challengers, Satellites, Darts, Dusters, Demons, and, and, ... you get the point... The wife's daily driver is an 06 Top Banana Daytona. I drive around my 97 Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.9. I have 268K on it and it has the original driveline still. It is like a game to see how long it will last now...

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Mastermind - I love it here. It is cool that you have lived here. I wish you still did so I could swing by and see you build some saws. Maybe I could learn a thing or ten! My family stretches across all of the counties that you mentioned. The Wood side is mostly Harnett and Johnston. The Cameron side mostly hangs out in Lee and Wake.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
11:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I moved here to Tennessee when I was 22. I like it well enough out here in the sticks, that going back to NC has never crossed my mind. If you think Four Oaks or Mamers is rural........you need to check out this place. :)

VinceGU05

one day when i grow up...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
looked at a arborists MS360.. low comp cant get it to start they said.. after a 10 minute look over, loose spark plug. popped a fresh one in there and fired up and ran like a cut cat.:campeon2:

Brush Ape

Direct Connection
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I took in a 395 cause it wouldnt run. The owner said he had rebuilt the carb and may have done it wrong. So that is what I zeroed in on, but after i rebuilt it there was no difference, just an intermittant pop.
So I removed the starter cover to check the coil and noticed the high tension lead was routed under the plastic face plate instead of on top where it should have been.
The flywheel wore a bare spot in the spark plug wire causing the intermitant spark.
Has anyone else been stumped by stuff that was misdiagnosed?
John

My diagnosis is; you spelled intermittent different twice and wrong both times. Get yourself a Stihl, Bro and circumvent most that horseshit.

BA

DELETED (Struggle)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
tinkering on a Jonsered 2040 for laughs and found impulse tube was fitted with a piece of fuel line and wouldn't seal. Saw would run but was all over the place. PUt an impulse grommet for a huskie 55 and it sealed up great. Also int he process of advancing timing I myself inadvertently spun the flywheel 180 (not tight enough) I figured it out when it kept flooding and never popped once.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have purchased 3 MS460s at different times this year, all "in a box" saws, from 2 different sources, and not one of them had the problem I was told they had.

One that supposedly had a bad P&C only had a stuck decomp valve.

One that supposedly had bad main bearings had a imploded clutch.

And the last one supposedly had a bad P&C, but instead had several missing parts and a bad main bearing, but the P&C were in great shape.