Sandblasting Cabinet

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
10:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking to purchase a blasting cabinet. Will need a different compressor as well. Would love to get some input from you guys on good options. Most of the stuff I will be blasting will be fitted into most of the common sized cabinets I have seen. Your input is appreciated.

cantgitright

i am Mastermind's other profile
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
are you going to be running it for hours or just a couple minutes here and there? if its going to be running continuously that makes a big difference as far as what compressor would be needed.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Planning on using it to sandblast small parts. I don't suppose it will be hours, but I'm not there yet. Most of the stuff I have blasted in a friends cabinet took less than 30 minutes.
Perhaps you can make a recommendation on something "midrange" :cool:

cantgitright

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Quincy QT-5 or QT-7.5 or Ingersoll Rand T30 should handle that well...both are 2 stage cast iron compressors with 100% duty rating
or if you could find an older tank mounted Ingersoll Rand EP-30 rotary screw compressor, that would be a better investment, they are fairly quiet and require little maintenance

I would stay away from single stage compressors especially ones with aluminum compressors....they will burn out in short order and they aren't rated for continuous use
also stay away from Sullair compressors...just a cheap POS

Plan-b

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't over think a blast cabinet, it's just a box to hold in all the mess. Buy a cheep one, if the gun is lousey get a better gun. All you need is a compressor large enough to run the blast gun.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of my concerns is it leaking sand everywhere. One of the cabinets I used was a cheaper model. I actually worked on it some in the process (told my friend we would "swap our services").
It certainly seemed to let out a good bit of dust and sand. Not to mention the view window was replaced twice by me with new Lexan. (You really do have to be able to see what you are working on :cool:).
Thanks for the input thus far guys. I do hope to move forward by summer.

cantgitright

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
One of my concerns is it leaking sand everywhere. One of the cabinets I used was a cheaper model. I actually worked on it some in the process (told my friend we would "swap our services").
It certainly seemed to let out a good bit of dust and sand. Not to mention the view window was replaced twice by me with new Lexan. (You really do have to be able to see what you are working on :cool:).
Thanks for the input thus far guys. I do hope to move forward by summer.
yeah, theyre not just a box! junk cabinets may just be a box, but a cabinet that you will be using a lot needs a good separator/filter to get rid of the spent media, and to keep the inside of the cabinet clear so you can see what yer doing, and it needs to feed properly...nothing is worse than the media piling up in the bottom of the cabinet causing it to stop the flow of media to the nozzle or having it stop every couple seconds!:BangHead:

Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Powdering where using 36 grit black beauty a rotary screw compressor 122 cu ft min Cab is 3 ft by 3 ft with a light on top and viewing window with gloves also the window and light have throw away plastic sheets covering them when they get blasted the feed hose wears a hole in it from inside out from media feeding up from metal tube

You need bearing bore covers for bearings and a number of different plugs to keep blast off seal bores if doing cases Dont use white sand it has silica in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OGStihl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yeah I got one of the cheapies off fleabay and it was ole for about 30 min or so the the window got all f Ed up and you couldn’t tell if you were blasting your hand or the part, plus it got blast media every freaking where. I wound up just using it a few times outside then I set it by the curb.. POS

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Richard, How's things out in Okie!! Old thread but thought I too would revive. About the best blasters, support, and pricing are a little company in Canfield, Oh. TP Tools and Equipment. Excellent surface prep supplier. Check em out!! Have a goodin timg

OGStihl

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks I’ll check them out, I need a good one. Things are good in Oklahoma, got the garden tilled and I’ll be cutting up and pulling brush until Christmas after that Ice storm we had. Spent all day on the tractor

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a large Trinco cabinet apx 4' x 2ft gravity collection with a dust collector system on it, window is safety glass with thin lexon protector sheets that you replace ( they are fairly cheap) overhead lighting. When I got it some 10-15 years back it was apx $1100. I am running off an old 2 stage 3 cylinder Westinghouse branded compressor it is around 55 cfm with a 180 gallon tank. That compressor was a once in a life time deal $100, the wiring of it cost me more than that just in parts.

1Snowcat

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check out TP tools for blast cabinets, supplies, and compressors, also sell any odds and ends you may need too hook it up...