201T Builder

TreeTard

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello guys, I was just curious if someone could point me in the direction of a reputable builder for a 201T. Most likely will just do a new saw build. I know different builders are better at different saws or just more comfortable with certain models. Any input as far as direction or your personal experience would be greatly appreciated. Located in Northern California if that helps as well.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
7:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saw looks good there! What kind of wood is that?
@BlackGreyhound

Also do you do exhaust/intake work on the 201's along with cylinder port squish and timing advance ? @Mastermind
I cut the edge of the piston on the newer 201 to set squish clearance. It has a domed piston, and that just makes more sense. I widen the exhaust port....but don't alter height. The upper transfers are terrible on these from the factory.....so that's where the most work is done. No timing advance on the new version either. Makes it pop under load. The carb gets a lot of work though. Shafts and screw heads are thinned for more flow.

RJH.13

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can’t go wrong with a saw from Randy, I have a 201 and 500i from him. He actually has my 201 back in the shop after I screwed up trying to switch out sprockets for the speed cut nano kit. Somehow the spark plug washer broke and got inside while I was getting the piston stop in. Anyways before I broke it I used that saw everyday 6 days a week. Everything from pruning to crane work. It’s been hard to run a stock saw for the past couple weeks. @Mastermind for the win.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can’t go wrong with a saw from Randy, I have a 201 and 500i from him. He actually has my 201 back in the shop after I screwed up trying to switch out sprockets for the speed cut nano kit. Somehow the spark plug washer broke and got inside while I was getting the piston stop in. Anyways before I broke it I used that saw everyday 6 days a week. Everything from pruning to crane work. It’s been hard to run a stock saw for the past couple weeks. @Mastermind for the win.
That piece of steel getting inside the jug is the weirdest thing I've seen in 15 years of saw work. I'll send the plug back with the saw so you can look at it.

TreeTard

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl waiting for my 500i from Randy. If that comes out as well as I hope, ill probably just have him do a 201 for me as well. I just know the turn around time is kind of lengthy (I really don't know that, this is the first ported saw I've ordered online) . I probably feel that way cause I'm like a little kid waiting for Christmas morning. I mostly wanted to see alternative options if maybe there was just a totally stand out 201 builder or something like that. But I like your taste @RJH.13

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl waiting for my 500i from Randy. If that comes out as well as I hope, ill probably just have him do a 201 for me as well. I just know the turn around time is kind of lengthy (I really don't know that, this is the first ported saw I've ordered online) . I probably feel that way cause I'm like a little kid waiting for Christmas morning. I mostly wanted to see alternative options if maybe there was just a totally stand out 201 builder or something like that. But I like your taste @RJH.13
Hello Curtis. :)

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
All the known builders on here can port a good 201. Nobody really stands out on that particular model. Your likely to see a similar wait time no matter who you pick.

TreeTard

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I may be caught but I'll still be here in the bushes 😶‍🌫️
I appreciate all the input guys

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All the known builders on here can port a good 201. Nobody really stands out on that particular model. Your likely to see a similar wait time no matter who you pick.
While fairly true, on this particular model, I have been doing a dickered with version for the tree care professionals that I picked up on from our very own @sawmikaze . They are only muffler modded, the timing advanced and the carburetor worked on, which lets the 201 run quite well, yes they are not quite as good as a fully ported version, however the benefits are I can turn one around the next day after receiving it and at a small fraction of the cost of porting one. Which seems to be an advantage for the tree pro's in both respect's.
To differentiate these from my ported Stump Shot Special saws, I begrudgingly named these Stump Shot Super as it started to be a thing and I didn't want folks thinking they were ported, which they are not.
As far as other ported saws go, my waiting time right now is a good two months or so.

Here's a vidja of a "Super" 201tc to see how they run.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
While fairly true, on this particular model, I have been doing a dickered with version for the tree care professionals that I picked up on from our very own @sawmikaze . They are only muffler modded, the timing advanced and the carburetor worked on, which lets the 201 run quite well, yes they are not quite as good as a fully ported version, however the benefits are I can turn one around the next day after receiving it and at a small fraction of the cost of porting one. Which seems to be an advantage for the tree pro's in both respect's.
To differentiate these from my ported Stump Shot Special saws, I begrudgingly named these Stump Shot Super as it started to be a thing and I didn't want folks thinking they were ported, which they are not.
As far as other ported saws go, my waiting time right now is a good two months or so.

Here's a vidja of a "Super" 201tc to see how they run.
@TreeTard winner, winner… chicken dinner.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@TreeTard winner, winner… chicken dinner.
.... and it surely is within the realm of possibility that other builder's could/would be able to do the same for their customers at their own rate, if they choose to do so.
It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask your builder that you already have a relationship with for such a thing.