Ronie's 660 kit saw

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I saw that, If I don't cut the base and do a gasket delete it won't free port. This cylinder has a smaller combustion chamber than the Hyway so It might make good compression with just a gasket delete.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tried cutting the squish band and it didn't go so well, I think when I get to the bore the whole cutter is making contact and I need to raise the cutter up some or turn it a little, it sucks but I'll get the hang of it. I ordered a new cylinder and it will be here friday.

unnamed (9).jpg

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
3:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tried cutting the squish band and it didn't go so well, I think when I get to the bore the whole cutter is making contact and I need to raise the cutter up some or turn it a little, it sucks but I'll get the hang of it. I ordered a new cylinder and it will be here friday.

View attachment 305958

You can fix that I think. What shape cutters are you using?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 305958

Looks to me like your boring bar is a little too high or low, try centering it better in the cut.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But no matter how you do it, any plated squish band absolutely sucks on a small lathe. Fortunately a 562 and 572 are about the only oem cylinders I can think of with anything measurable on the band.

BuxtonSaws

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

View attachment 305958
It was already mentioned.. but to me it also looks like you need shims under the bar. I run slightly above center.. I'm no machinest though. I learn from trial and error... My ways are not always correct.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally success, I spent the morning trying to figure out how to get my tool rest raised up high enough and after 3 times having this cylinder on and off the lath, I think I got it. This is the Farmartec cylinder that came with the kit, it looks like I made a small squish band but the second time I had it on the lathe I wasn't cutting all the way to the bore and I didn't cut it quite as deep the third time I had it on the lathe. So I raised the tool rest, shimmed the bar and set the bar at a little angle. One other thing I did was to put another dial indicator on the tool rest so I could see when I was at the bore. Thanks for the help@Mastermind, @Stump Shot, @huskihl and @BuxtonSaws. If I forgot anyone, thanks to you too.

ghghj.jpg