High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

Resizing a chainsaw piston?

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Is it possible in the case of say an odd sized piston, such as a 51.4 mm 372xpw, to buy an oversized piston that has the skirt width, length and crown height you would want and turn it down to size?
Has anyone done this, and what would be the benefits and or disadvantages? Too thin of a wall? Uneven cut?
I'm thinking this as a solution to pistons that don't have quality aftermarket options.
As I write this I already can think of a few issues of doing this but I want to hear you guys thoughts.

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm also looking for a somewhat cheaper option, assuming you have access to the tooling. But also if you are looking for a wider skirt, or a taller crown for modding. I don't see taking .6 mm off diameter so only .3 mm of material being removed causing the circlip grooves needing to be recut. I can see the ring pins being an issue and was actually one of my first concerns, as was the ring groove, but if we are talking a custom piston, that's part of the deal and probably want to move them anyway.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Need to find a meaty enough used piston to try this on.

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yeah there are some on the bay for $100 but that's the 50mm. The 51.4 isn't made in any form of aftermarket as far as I know.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
9:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wiseco is 12 minimum. Paying for a design and forge on the first run is around $4-500. Puts 12 pistons in the $1900 range

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Dag gone. Unless you are planning on building a bunch of hot saws that's a little pricey

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It isn't as simple as just turning the piston down with a lathe .First let me say I've worked on one piston line for Honda and 4 for Ford and it goes like this .

The top portion of the piston is perfectly round but the skirt has a slight taper and ovality .Modern methods use CNC machinery .Older methods used a "cat head " turning lathe .To attempt to turn down a piston in a standard lathe would be a feat I myself wouldn't try .
I have a Monarch 10" EE lathe which unfortunatly is not running at the present but if it were it's one of the best toolmakers lathe ever built .It has a taper attachment but I have no idea even using this fine machine how a person could ever cut ovality with it .

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This is good information.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Pistons are taper ground from top to bottom and cam ground front to back. Simply turning a piston down on a lathe might not work so well.

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I would love to see a video of this process.