Repower MTD tiller with Honda GC190

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I have an old MTD front tine tiller in excellent shape except the carb took a crap and only barely runs on choke now. Put a kit into it to no avail. I freely admit I am terrible at rebuilding carbs and this one is NLA. I found a nice running Honda GC190 on Fleabay that I think will work. It has a 3/4" shaft whereas the old one was 5/8", so will need a new pulley. This engine has a fixed throttle so probably 3600 rpm or so. Would it be a good choice for my tiller?

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
not sure how soft your soil is, but a fixed throttle could get pretty hard to hold onto, I have some pretty rocky soil and my first few passes I idle my motor all the way down to make it more managable on myself and the shear pins.

honda OPE motors are the cats meow though, they seem to last forever I definatley would spend the coin for a honda upgrade.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This tiller really needs the full 3600 so I suspect the fixed throttle will be fine. I have awhile to think about it anyway.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have time to think about it. I have no money for a new engine right now, but do have another tiller I can use. Gotta have backups!

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does the side the exhaust comes out matter? Would a gx200 motor work? Also I am not too far away if you wanted I could take a crack at rebuilding that mtd carb for you

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I replaced mine with a Harbor Freight motor. Easier to crank and more power. I think I gave $99 for the motor about five years ago.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does the side the exhaust comes out matter? Would a gx200 motor work? Also I am not too far away if you wanted I could take a crack at rebuilding that mtd carb for you

Only thing that matters is that the PTO comes out on the left side. I appreciate the offer of help! I've put the tiller back in the shed for the time being but will definitely hit you up on that.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I replaced mine with a Harbor Freight motor. Easier to crank and more power. I think I gave $99 for the motor about five years ago.

I'm embarrassed to say the Chicom Tecumseh copies are a lot better than the real ones.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
5:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I would totally go this route. I've done that with many ope jobs. Every one I've ever installed starts on the first pull and runs great throughout its entire throttle range. Some are approaching the 5 year mark and no problems.