Clarkbug

Active OPE Member
Local time
2:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Evening everyone.

I picked up a freebie Cub Cadet LT1042 (Model 13BX11CG710) that my son has been using to putter around the yard, or do a bit of mowing, which is handy. Earlier this year I swapped the drive belt out since the one on there was dry rotted (which is a huge PITA, let me tell you). Im pretty sure that CC made this thing so that when someone tried to work on it, they would just get a new mower instead of dealing with the headache. Anyway, I digress.

Fast forward to this past week, and my wife was driving this around, and she said she smelled something a little like burning, then the mower stopped. I looked and the drive belt is toasted, some of the rubber is peeled right off. I thought maybe one of the idler pulleys was seized or something, but when I got into looking at it today, all the idlers spin freely and don't feel like anything is bad.

So Im not sure if it was just a bad belt (it was an OEM MTD, but might have been old stock), or if something else is up. I did see that it looks like there is fresh oil on the bottom of the transaxle, and so I am curious if it would have locked up if it ran low on oil? My thought would have been that it would just stop moving if all the oil was drained out, not that the pulley on the top would be an issue.

Anyway, I know these things aren't built to be serviceable, but wondering if there is an easy way to get oil in this thing without dropping the whole thing off the back... (Battery is up front on this model, gas tank is sitting right over the top, so I cant just go in under the seat) I have a new belt on the way, but dont want to put a ton of other $$ into it.

Thanks for any ideas everyone.

Matt Ellerbee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a LT1046, should be close to the same. Pull seat, floor pan and fuel tank. Transaxle is right there. May be able to get out the bottom without going in through the top. Been awhile since I’ve been under mine.

Axle isn’t “serviceable” so to speak, but can be split and oil changed, if I’m remembering correctly. I’ve never done it, just reading on forums.

Clarkbug

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a LT1046, should be close to the same. Pull seat, floor pan and fuel tank. Transaxle is right there. May be able to get out the bottom without going in through the top. Been awhile since I’ve been under mine.

Axle isn’t “serviceable” so to speak, but can be split and oil changed, if I’m remembering correctly. I’ve never done it, just reading on forums.

Thanks for the reply. Ill have to see how much of a pain it is to pull the tank and floor pan off. I think I just want to clean everything off and fill it back up, then see if I can spot where the leak is coming from. Might be easier to just top it up every few months than try to pull it all apart... They make everything a huge pain to work on. I have to unbolt the engine to get the drive belt on the pulley due to the guards up there....

Matt Ellerbee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the reply. Ill have to see how much of a pain it is to pull the tank and floor pan off. I think I just want to clean everything off and fill it back up, then see if I can spot where the leak is coming from. Might be easier to just top it up every few months than try to pull it all apart... They make everything a huge pain to work on. I have to unbolt the engine to get the drive belt on the pulley due to the guards up there....
Thinking you misunderstood. The axle can’t be just topped up. There is no fill or drain plug. It has to be split to get oil in or out.

Yea, that belt is a pain.

Clarkbug

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ohhhhh.

I definitely misunderstood. I thought I saw a drain plug on the bottom, so assumed there was some sorta fill on the top. Well that is an unfortunate case of cost cutting....

ElevatorGuy

It’s up and down ;)
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That should be the k46 trans maybe even the next one down. It’s gotta come out to service as stated, Throw away design and the amount belts my 1050kw when through was ridiculous, I got rid of it and bought a jdx380. The cub had a nice engine but that was it.

Clarkbug

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This one has the Kohler Courage single, and it has had it's issues. Previous Owner has lots of issues with mice under the cowl, so went through a few starters as a result. Also had it drop a valve seat and needed a new head. It had a bad leak from the valve cover but it seems to be at bay right now. It does start right up, but seemed to have its share of gremlins....

Matt Ellerbee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is the parts book. Has a page on the transmission. Maybe it'll help?

Attachments

• LT 1045.pdf
    6.2 MB · Views: 11