High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Mtd rear tine tiller

Buckman

OPE Member
Local time
3:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
So recently I've acquired an older MTD rear tine tiller. The machine itself is in great shape but needs a motor. Went to pull the old one off and the 5hp briggs that was on it has two shafts. I have no experience with this type and I'm having troubles locating an easy replacement. Any ideas or advice?

Thank you!

MarkEagleUSA

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the 2nd shaft is for reverse...

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one of those tillers. Yard machines by mtd. I have only replaced the drive belt. Didn't even know it had two shafts.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So recently I've acquired an older MTD rear tine tiller. The machine itself is in great shape but needs a motor. Went to pull the old one off and the 5hp briggs that was on it has two shafts. I have no experience with this type and I'm having troubles locating an easy replacement. Any ideas or advice?

Thank you!
You may be able to download a manual online. At least an IPL maybe.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The second shaft is the camshaft. It is used for reversing the tiller. Briggs no longer makes engines with the camshaft PTO. You can fit a new engine but you won't have reverse. Or you can find a good older 5hp briggs and fit the PTO camshaft and sump cover. Some 5hp engines have a sleeve bearing on the crank and some have a ball bearing on the crank. The crank bearing must match the sump cover.

Buckman

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The second shaft is the camshaft. It is used for reversing the tiller. Briggs no longer makes engines with the camshaft PTO. You can fit a new engine but you won't have reverse. Or you can find a good older 5hp briggs and fit the PTO camshaft and sump cover. Some 5hp engines have a sleeve bearing on the crank and some have a ball bearing on the crank. The crank bearing must match the sump cover.