ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
4:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is quite a operation going on there Andrew!
Love the IBC totes thing, I will have to resort to a different/stationary stacking for seasoning way.
thanks Wilhelm the wood seems too be going out the yard faster than it comes in
i Help him as many days as I can between my own log selling and fencing

the processor and log splitter was going most days last week
and some dolmars and one makita that don’t hang around haha

FTG-05

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Small score: one of my Poplars went down after a small storm. Unlike a lot of burners, I like Poplar. Easy to process, fast to dry, leaves very little ash. Perfect for SC TN weather and climate.

It missed both my Chicken Shak and my shop:

IMG_5005 (Large).JPG

Incredibly hard work and labor moving it up to my firewood processing area. Like we're talking slave labor hard work here:

IMG_5008 (Large).JPG

More incredibly hard work bucking it up. Let's count the ways: We have to bend WAAAY over to reach the wood, we have to lift the saw soooo high, we have to move several times to make a clean cut - and then we run the risk of digging the saw into the hard stone surface. We're talking incredibly hard work here!

IMG_5012 (Large).JPG

IMG_5014 (Large).JPG

And then there is the huge labor involved in getting rid of the stump! It must have taken seconds, if not a minute or so to dump it off into the woods. Incredible effort!

IMG_5017 (Large).JPG

In fact, just making this post drained me of so much energy, I think I need another Jack and Coke!!!

Stihl036

3% Neanderthal
Local time
11:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@AlfA01 what percentage of a cord chucks in a tote?

It depends on the length of wood.

These numbers are from memory and may not of even been correct when I read them years ago.

Stacked cord 128 cu/ft
Tossed cord wood cut 16" 180 cu/ft
Tossed cord wood cut 18" 190 cu/ft
Tossed cord wood cut 20" 200 cu/ft

How many cu/ft in your totes?

Your mileage may vary.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
6:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@AlfA01 what percentage of a cord chucks in a tote?
To be honest I’ve never measured with totes. I sell with cubic meters or by the ton. A cubic meter is the same as our totes but no one here knows about face cords. I’d estimate at least three cubic meter totes in a face cord.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Small score: one of my Poplars went down after a small storm. Unlike a lot of burners, I like Poplar. Easy to process, fast to dry, leaves very little ash. Perfect for SC TN weather and climate.

It missed both my Chicken Shak and my shop:

View attachment 404158

Incredibly hard work and labor moving it up to my firewood processing area. Like we're talking slave labor hard work here:

View attachment 404159

More incredibly hard work bucking it up. Let's count the ways: We have to bend WAAAY over to reach the wood, we have to lift the saw soooo high, we have to move several times to make a clean cut - and then we run the risk of digging the saw into the hard stone surface. We're talking incredibly hard work here!

View attachment 404160

View attachment 404161

And then there is the huge labor involved in getting rid of the stump! It must have taken seconds, if not a minute or so to dump it off into the woods. Incredible effort!

View attachment 404162

In fact, just making this post drained me of so much energy, I think I need another Jack and Coke!!!
Utilize a Dolmar (not Makita!) chainsaw, so much faster.

I quarter stumps and burn them in my shop cast iron fireplace.
Heck, today I burnt 3 buckets full of ice and snow covered turkey oak bark!
Short chimney pipe works wonders, just get a good ember bedding and You can burn a bucket full of water!

I pity You having had to go through that much trouble and work! 😝

FTG-05

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is a White Oak that came down on my neighbor's property and my property during a late summer storm.

There are two trunks that broke off the main trunk, shown just barely right of center. The tree itself is on my neighbor's property as-is the trunk on the right; the one on the left (the one I'm getting ready to cut) fell on my property.

IMG_5082 (Large).JPG

On the way up my hill. You've heard the old saying "What goes up must come down."? Well, on my property: what goes down, must come up. My house is just barely visible in the center of the pic:

IMG_5090 (Large).JPG

Not a bad haul for the day; the Cedar on the right was broken off and taken down when the White Oak came down.

IMG_5121 (Large).JPG

On the way back to the shop and now it's Miller Time!:

IMG_5128 (Large).JPG

Thanks for looking!