Recent Wood Score Post your Pics Thread

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That tree was old and huge. No doubt it needed to be climbed. Not many species have more heat content than hickory. The weight of those rounds can perhaps be described best by one common adjective: heavy.

My hat is off to the climber and to you. I will never forget the shagbark hickory trees that I cut for firewood in Connecticut. It was like mining for gold.
That shaggy is just a special breed of tree and firewood for sure!!:p:thumbup:

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_2995.jpegLocal tree service dropped off right in my front yard. And a picture of my “splitting station”. My splitting beam is just a little low, so I have to run it up on homemade car ramps.

Attachments

• IMG_3022.jpeg
    IMG_3022.jpeg
    324.5 KB · Views: 28

I saw a lot

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got everything I cut up yesterday hauled out, loaded and unloaded ready for splitting. I'm thinking a cord so far. Still have to cut up and haul out the remaining.

Attachments

• Load back.jpg
    Load back.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Load drivers side .jpg
    Load drivers side .jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Load passenger side.jpg
    Load passenger side.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Stack end.jpg
    Stack end.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Stack side a.jpg
    Stack side a.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 16

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I first saw these rounds on post #1,425 I thought it was dark enough in color to be walnut. If it actually is elm, then it must be red elm. Regardless of which one, it's good firewood stock. What a terrific haul! That truck was working its butt off to carry it away.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No splitting yet, sorry. Looking like rain starting mid-week through the weekend so we will see. But I will keep everyone posted.
Red elm can be spit green but like other elm species, it is best to wait until the log checks up a bit. That seems to make a big difference. Needless to say, it splits easier than American elm that around here gets rather stringy whenever you try to split it green. It might be wise to try a few sample logs. Time is on your side when dealing with elm and that includes red elm.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Red elm can be spit green but like other elm species, it is best to wait until the log checks up a bit. That seems to make a big difference. Needless to say, it splits easier than American elm that around here gets rather stringy whenever you try to split it green. It might be wise to try a few sample logs. Time is on your side when dealing with elm and that includes red elm.
Red Elm makes fine axe handles,

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its beech, blew over in a storm there was hardly any root system but the tree looked good, it's been down about three years. The saw is a 266xp, I got a couple of them some of my favourites to use.
Yea , gotta give props to the 266 , have a couple, ported there a lot of fun , 👍

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
3:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lot of wood on that truck, David. My truck would have been moaning and groaning all the way home with that load on board. Nice gather and a fine, strong truck, however. You have a proven performer.
There’s 500lb of winch and gin poles under that. 😆