beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
9:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can see "ope forum" in the you tube title on my phone. Very cool fellas!

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks fine here. I was thinking... careful what you wish for. Another Site got diluted/watered down with content due to an influx of the "facebookers". Some of the chit you read on the chainsaw specific groups there is, well, amazing. I'd hate to see it here.

hoskvarna

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't even have a handle on hash-tagging, ass-slackerging, whatever it's called when you put someone's forum name in a post so they get an alert....

:roto2nuse:
I hear ya bud

From the Hills

michaelmj11

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Absolutely, Michael! Very nice thread! If that one is larger than the large Husqvarna version, it just might work!

OK, I know I just wowed you all with the tricorder. But please elaborate on this meta tag of which you speak.
Teach us........

I'm as dumb as a bag of dicks.

Meta tags are basically how search engines SEE websites. Google has a tool that basically "crawls" around the web digesting websites (breaking them down for word association) BUT the easiest/fastest way to really get the "web crawlers" attention is to include Meta Tags in your thread/website.

The meta tags are really what the "web crawler" cues in on. Most major Search engines also have a feature where they verify that the meta tags actually apply to the website they have been assigned to. Like how if this forum had a bunch of meta tags about "chainsaws" but then all the posts were about Frank Pierce's avatar, then the better search engines would pay less attention to the thread/forum because the meta tags did not match up with the actual content of the website (and search engines don't have a bias towards T&A)....

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Meta tags are basically how search engines SEE websites. Google has a tool that basically "crawls" around the web digesting websites (breaking them down for word association) BUT the easiest/fastest way to really get the "web crawlers" attention is to include Meta Tags in your thread/website.

awesome , soooo what da *f-word are they?:(

Jughead

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

The meta tags are really what the "web crawler" cues in on. Most major Search engines also have a feature where they verify that the meta tags actually apply to the website they have been assigned to. Like how if this forum had a bunch of meta tags about "chainsaws" but then all the posts were about Frank Pierce's avatar, then the better search engines would pay less attention to the thread/forum because the meta tags did not match up with the actual content of the website (and search engines don't have a bias towards T&A)....
thats some deep stuff!

michaelmj11

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok, when we create a Thread is when it is easiest to assign Meta Tags (but you can do it to any thread later on, I have added some to the 362 thread of Mastermind's (because nobody else had) You can look just below the Title of the Thread and see where it says "tags:" and then a list of the words that (whomever) wanted associated with that thread.

http://opeforum.com/posts/52062/

meta1.png

Ok, I am hoping this next image uploads correctly, but here goes explaining in the hopes everything goes like it should.....

SO, the title of my thread was going to be: "Teaching the monkey with the gun before he shoots me"

so the words I would want associated with this Title/Thread can be whatever word associations i want to make. Each one variation is important, I should have used a different example but anyways. Say Randy had gotten the new MS261 type II in and wanted to make a new video of it. If he made the meta tag JUST say "MS261" then if someone did a search for "MS 261" it would not match up perfectly (notice the space between the MS and 261). So that is why on a few of my Threads it seems redundant, but if you want to get as much coverage/publicity/search engine "hits" then you want to include all the different ways someone might spell something.

So for the "Teaching the monkey with the gun before he shoots me" tags, i might do something like: "stop or my monkey will shoot" "gun" "Mastermind" "randy" "shot" "shoot" "shooting" "How to" "prevent" and stuff along those lines so that if someone was genuinely searching for ways of preventing Butthurt from a 45 this Thread might be close to the top of their search engine results

If I was honestly making meta tags for the MS261 type II video for Randy I would do tags like:
"MS261" "Stihl" "MS 261" "261" "type II" "type 2" "new version" "Stihl MS261" "Stihl MS 261" "Stihl MS 261 type II"
maybe even throw in the significant specific differences like "10.8" "4.0" for the new weight and HP.

meta2.png

Attachments

• meta2.png
    meta2.png
    776.4 KB · Views: 13

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very cool stuff Michael, I may have to pick your brain one of these days!

Now, I would probably be smart to say, "Michael, Mike, Mikey, Miguel, M-to-the-Ike", etc to be sure you really pay attention, no?

:stick:

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting, I was able to edit/add a tag to your chainsaw case thread. Not sure if that is supposed to work that way. Don't worry, I didn't put "NAMBLA" or anything in there. I just added "boxes" to see if it would let me.

Oh, and I'ma gonna swing by bb, if you don't mind. :sifone:

michaelmj11

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You did a fine job. This chits just over my head. Oh and I enjoy the occasional bong hit. [emoji16]

Hmm, how about this. The computer/internet/websites do not think/work using the same methods of communication as people (i think everyone can agree to that).

The internet/search engines think in # of times a word is used, and word association. If you declare at the beginning of your thread this (XYZ) word is important and what this thread is Really about then the search engines will put more emphasis on what that word correlates to in searches.

If you create a thread titled "A brave new world for the OPE forums" most computers/search engines are going to throw some words out automatically. The search engine is not going to even see these words "A, for, the". It is looking for the words that make this Thread/posting different/unique from other ones, and anything that does not help it accomplish that goal, is discarded as irrelevant data.

Last edited: