High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Poulan Pro 330 build (raffle saw for AdirondackStihl)

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got a box in the mail today... opened it and found this... PP 330.

54cc of about the last of the professional grade Poulans. (yes, they made good saws)

These are good runners from the factory. A little can be done to wake them up some, mainly a good muffler mod. I will make sure ports are matched to gaskets and muffler inlet and such, and squish will be as tight as I can get (.019-.024" hopefully)

Here's pictures, three to be exact. I will be getting parts for it next week, whether that is locally or off of the web. Scored piston/cylinder, so I will be trying Mastermind's cylinder cleaning trick, for the first time, to clean it up. Piston will be ordered if I don't find a parts saw with a good piston/cylinder.

There will be a new carb kit and fuel, vent, and impulse lines as well as fuel filter. Crank seals will be replaced as they are about 5 bucks for two of them. Otherwise, bearings feel okay as far as I can tell at this moment. Will know for sure once cylinder is off.

poulan pro 330 1.jpg

poulan pro 330 2.jpg

poulan pro 330 3.jpg

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very good saw you have there. Is this one with a plated bore and a bare piston? Or a plated piston amd a bare bore?

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one with a plated piston grey and black sears.
It still has 150 compression
After many many loads of
Firewood.
The line's rotted off of it so I'm going to fix it for the neighbor.
It's his only saw.
Doesn't matter if you use a plated or bare cylinder to us.

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very good saw you have there. Is this one with a plated bore and a bare piston? Or a plated piston amd a bare bore?

Chrome bore. The piston looks like crap, lol. So definitely transfer off of piston onto cylinder, not the other way around.

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did a minimal teardown (fuel tank and intake box are still attached to the case)

Yep, piston is shot, has the ring stuck in the groove. Streaks all down the exhaust side, intake side is fine on both piston and cylinder.

Cylinder looks like it should be salvageable... I feel high spots, not gouges, so... we will see if MM's trick works.

Here's a picture of the cylinder... this is the exhaust side.

poulan pro 330 cylinder 1.jpg

As for that trick, how exactly does it go, Mastermind? I recall certain grit sandpaper or crocus cloth and a wooden dowel with a slot cut down it for a mandrel. Don't recall what grit range of paper or cloth to use...

I have some 600 grit crocus cloth. Might have a sheet or two of the 800 or 1000 grit automotive body work sandpaper.

Parts list...

1. Air filter
2. kill switch on/off label plate and nut
3. carb kit
4. muffler cover + inner baffle/support tube
5. crank seals
6. gasket kit
7. piston kit (46.5mm bore)
8. spark plug
9. fuel, impulse, and vent lines
10. fuel filter
11. clutch cover/chain brake assembly
12. bar nuts

As far as I know right now, those are the parts I am looking for... I will be trying local sources first to avoid shipping costs, if possible.

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Haven't forgot you> STUFF happening .
Shep

As long as it doesn't cost me more money than correct market value of parts and normal shipping costs, not a problem.

I.E. 10-30 bucks shipping and fair market value of parts, one way shipped to my location, for some parts thrown in a box.

Been having a lot of stuff happen here too, hence the thread is pretty quiet. Real quiet around here right now.

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update on this... have some parts coming soon. As for what I need once they are here, we will see. Probably won't get everything from the same source, but you never know.

As for the saw, if anyone was wondering, it was MasterMind that was kind enough to send me this to build. Thanks Randy!

Helping me help someone else is good.

I will disclose others that helped as well, once this project is done.

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That guy is not to be trusted.

Believe me.

Ah, yes. That is true.

I saw this thing happened to this one guy, you see, it involved a baboon butt and face sitting event, with a little spinning and suffocation. He did not survive. Yes, MasterMind was behind it all. Poor guy had no idea what sat on him. All he saw was red.

Yes, I asked a clairvoyant/psychic/voodoo person/medicine woman about what the victim saw. That's what she told me he saw in his last minutes.