huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
3:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just curious, and if you don't have it don't bother, but what does the case side look like at the lowers?
I don’t have a picture, but it’s in Shaun’s thread. The case is slightly smaller at the left and right entrance, and I believe it’s like that intentionally

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t have a picture, but it’s in Shaun’s thread. The case is slightly smaller at the left and right entrance, and I believe it’s like that intentionally

You think they are trying to create some tumbling?

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I borrowed scarrdude52's pic

img_2214-jpg.317018

So the crank is throwing the charge forward it looks like.

I'm just crunching the theory in my head. Just for fun.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I borrowed scarrdude52's pic

img_2214-jpg.317018

So the crank is throwing the charge forward it looks like.

I'm just crunching the theory in my head. Just for fun.
I don’t really look at it like the crank is doing anything (but hell idk). In my mind, the piston is coming down and pushing the charge up through the transfers

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess the one way to find out would be to ask the chief engineer questions on the motor design?

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think they are trying to stop reversion, just like the 562 has at the edge of the triangle

Usually reversion lips are not very deep. They are aimed at keeping precipitated fuel from traveling back up the port wall. You sometimes see shelf’s like this to catch oil with a hole or drip channel to feed it to the main bearings but that isn’t the case here.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Usually reversion lips are not very deep. They are aimed at keeping precipitated fuel from traveling back up the port wall. You sometimes see shelf’s like this to catch oil with a hole or drip channel to feed it to the main bearings but that isn’t the case here.
Yep not certain. I figured there was a reason it was like that with pretty much the entire 5 series and only having 10 to 15° BD. Even though the lower transfer port layout is slightly different across the line, there is a step in each model where they could have easily matched it up

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep not certain. I figured there was a reason it was like that with pretty much the entire 5 series and only having 10 to 15° BD. Even though the lower transfer port layout is slightly different across the line, there is a step in each model where they could have easily matched it up

All strato engines will have less blowdown than traditional ones. You need to front load the flushing of the chamber with the clean air before the fuel mix is reaching the bore.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All strato engines will have less blowdown than traditional ones. You need to front load the flushing of the chamber with the clean air before the fuel mix is reaching the bore.
That seems to be the case with huskies. Stihls appear to be different. Mostly normal blow down numbers in the low to mid-20s for most models

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That seems to be the case with huskies. Stihls appear to be different. Mostly normal blow down numbers in the low to mid-20s for most models

I think the design is a little different. I thought some of the stihls instead of backfilling the transfers where flushing the exhaust port/muffler with clean air.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the design is a little different. I thought some of the stihls instead of backfilling the transfers where flushing the exhaust port/muffler with clean air.
Could very well be.
I was only curious, not trying to be argumentative. I always learn when I listen to you

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could very well be.
I was only curious, not trying to be argumentative. I always learn when I listen to you

Well I’m not 100% sure on that so I was hoping for confirmation. I have not had much experience with the newer stihl saws.

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t really look at it like the crank is doing anything (but hell idk). In my mind, the piston is coming down and pushing the charge up through the transfers

Yeah that too also. And I'm certain that is causing the majority of movement.

Thinking the crank lobes are up and the piston is down. Only one place the charge can go.

Is turbulence in the transfers good or bad?

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah that too also. And I'm certain that is causing the majority of movement.

Thinking the crank lobes are up and the piston is down. Only one place the charge can go.

Is turbulence in the transfers good or bad?
No idear. Shaun might have some input on the turbulence.