Possible problems with (.375" x .058") 68 Drive Links bars

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
BTW...what were the mods you did to your 18" .058 bar & how did you go about it?
Any pics?
Well, the chains I had were 68DL of 3/8" x .058. I finally found a well used bar that used that length chain, milled out the groove to the 12mm size that Stihls use, I believe the oiler hole was ok (this was several years ago) and if I recall, the bar was also originally .050 but worn enough that running the .058 gauge chain in it a couple minutes made if fit. So now I put this bar on the Stihl saws I rebuild to run hours on them (mostly 039 models) and then when it's ready to sell, I mount up a 20" arbormax pro on it with some nice chisel chain. If I didn't have so many nearly new chains of this oddball size, I wouldn't have gone through all that. The guy I got the chains from used to use chains until they were dull and then just replace them. So essentially, these were dull, never sharpened chains. I think I have a dozen of them or so. Laser brand.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, the chains I had were 68DL of 3/8" x .058. I finally found a well used bar that used that length chain, milled out the groove to the 12mm size that Stihls use, I believe the oiler hole was ok (this was several years ago) and if I recall, the bar was also originally .050 but worn enough that running the .058 gauge chain in it a couple minutes made if fit. So now I put this bar on the Stihl saws I rebuild to run hours on them (mostly 039 models) and then when it's ready to sell, I mount up a 20" arbormax pro on it with some nice chisel chain. If I didn't have so many nearly new chains of this oddball size, I wouldn't have gone through all that. The guy I got the chains from used to use chains until they were dull and then just replace them. So essentially, these were dull, never sharpened chains. I think I have a dozen of them or so. Laser brand.
Alright...much obliged.