CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Studs,

Listen, Baileys is running a close out on Carlton 18" Timber Champ Tiger Chainsaw Bars (.375" x .058") 68 Drive Links.

I could use some cheap bars to slam on power-head only saws that I buy & flip.
Yet, there are some foreseeable issues which include these:
1. They don't fit Stihl...I mainly deal with Stihl saws.
2. Is there an bar adapter to fit Stihl mount?
3. If so how much for the cheapest adapters?
4. I would need .058 chain & .058 sprocket correct?
5. Cost association of new chain & new sprockets???
Just trying to get some expert advice...but the bars are $3.00 each!:eek:

Is it worth it & what are you guys experience with .375" x .058" bars & chain?
Is there anyway to circumvent around this?

http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...ger-Chainsaw-Bar-375-x-058-68-Drive-Links.axd
Thanks,
Reg

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you retro fit a Husky bar to a Stihl pattern (if even possible, can't tell if that is a k095 or d009 mount) you may really cause some problems for the poor guy who buys your saw when he goes to get another chain.

I've modified some bars, but I wouldn't sell them to Joe public.

Also .058 is an odd size for a Stihl saw.

You would need a 3/8 rim or 3/8 sprocket. .058 or .050 or .063 will all work with the above rim/sprocket.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you retro fit a Husky bar to a Stihl pattern (if even possible, can't tell if that is a k095 or d009 mount) you may really cause some problems for the poor guy who buys your saw when he goes to get another chain.

I've modified some bars, but I wouldn't sell them to Joe public.

Also .058 is an odd size for a Stihl saw.

You would need a 3/8 rim or 3/8 sprocket. .058 or .050 or .063 will all work with the above rim/sprocket.
D009 mount says Baileys

psuiewalsh

Basement Bodging
Local time
2:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
D009 to D025 you would need to enlarge the mount for the larger stihl bar studs and sometimes have to open up the chain adjuster hole(s). The 3/8 sprocket will work fine with .058. Same price chain as .058 if you are buying new, can sometimes find it cheaper due to less demand, may detract from the sale to some stihl people as not all stihl dealers stock .058.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
D009 to D025 you would need to enlarge the mount for the larger stihl bar studs and sometimes have to open up the chain adjuster hole(s). The 3/8 sprocket will work fine with .058. Same price chain as .058 if you are buying new, can sometimes find it cheaper due to less demand, may detract from the sale to some stihl people as not all stihl dealers stock .058.
Great advice....will bar adapters work...or must it be done manually?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The slot on a Stihl is 12mm wide and on a large husky is 9.5mm small husky is 8.2mm

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
BTW...why do some say .375...while other list it as 3/8?

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn't try to adapt these bars to a Stihl. There's lots of choices of bars for Stihl saws including many aftermarket choices. I have modded bars and it certainly can be done, but for saws that are being flipped, I'd want to sell them with something that can be maintained without special knowledge. ie, a typical Stihl dealer is likely to supply a .050" gauge chain as I've never seen a Stihl mount bar in .058 so they wouldn't be expecting that. Bailey's sometimes runs sales on the Arbormax pro combos. That's what I usually sell saws with.
There's no way to "adapt" these bars to fit a 3003 mount. It would require a complete mod of the bar. By the time all the grinding/drilling/milling is done, the savings may not be as noticeable.

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn't try to adapt these bars to a Stihl. There's lots of choices of bars for Stihl saws including many aftermarket choices. I have modded bars and it certainly can be done, but for saws that are being flipped, I'd want to sell them with something that can be maintained without special knowledge. ie, a typical Stihl dealer is likely to supply a .050" gauge chain as I've never seen a Stihl mount bar in .058 so they wouldn't be expecting that. Bailey's sometimes runs sales on the Arbormax pro combos. That's what I usually sell saws with.
There's no way to "adapt" these bars to fit a 3003 mount. It would require a complete mod of the bar. By the time all the grinding/drilling/milling is done, the savings may not be as noticeable.
^this

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll slam some on the occasional Husky Saw and others saws they fit.
Yet, what I didn't write or share is this:
Around here .058 is rather common & I've already spoken with a great friend of mine who is a Certified Stihl Tech, owns a top notch machine shop, is cognizant of all bar specs/tolerances, and happens to have a few hundred feet of .058 chisel chain.;)
I saved him from some "dire financial straits a while back"...he owes me much more than this & is more than happy to oblige.:ARMS1:
Well, as Paul Harvey used to say; "That's the rest of the story" lol:rolleyes:

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my post, I wasn't trying to indicate that .058 was uncommon, I was merely pointing out that there are NO Stihl saws that come with .058 chain and while Stihl makes that pitch chain, it wouldn't be normal to find a Stihl saw that fit it. Certainly a new owner would be able to get a proper chain for the saw but if they weren't up on saw pitch/gauge/drive link count, etc (which most saw owners aren't) They have a high likelihood of winding up with the wrong chain. Anyone that has acquired a number of saws has taken in saws with both the incorrect pitch chain and the incorrect gauge chain and sometimes both. That's why I recommend fitting bars with the correct mount to saws.
I have an 18" .058 gauge bar I use on my Stihl saws. I had a large quantity of chains in this odd gauge/drive link count. After an unsuccessful extensive search for a bar that would fit the chains and fit my Stihls, I modified a bar. I use it to test saws with and then sell them with new bar/chain combos.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my post, I wasn't trying to indicate that .058 was uncommon, I was merely pointing out that there are NO Stihl saws that come with .058 chain and while Stihl makes that pitch chain, it wouldn't be normal to find a Stihl saw that fit it. Certainly a new owner would be able to get a proper chain for the saw but if they weren't up on saw pitch/gauge/drive link count, etc (which most saw owners aren't) They have a high likelihood of winding up with the wrong chain. Anyone that has acquired a number of saws has taken in saws with both the incorrect pitch chain and the incorrect gauge chain and sometimes both. That's why I recommend fitting bars with the correct mount to saws.
I have an 18" .058 gauge bar I use on my Stihl saws. I had a large quantity of chains in this odd gauge/drive link count. After an unsuccessful extensive search for a bar that would fit the chains and fit my Stihls, I modified a bar. I use it to test saws with and then sell them with new bar/chain combos.
Thats good and timely info.
I understood you first time around.
Thanks for sharing...

Last edited:

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
BTW...what were the mods you did to your 18" .058 bar & how did you go about it?
Any pics?