Porting, You get what you pay for

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
4:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My take on this? If you hire someone for this type of service, you are buying just that...that builders service. It's up to you as the buyer of said service to do your homework and hire based on your findings. You are buying that builder's performance mods for an agreed upon price ahead of time. Doesn't matter how much or how little work was done.

The only thing I see that wasn't quite right (maybe) on this saw is the base turning. But that's not our call either. The builder left it that way. Maybe in his mind it was acceptable or he had a reason for it. A base gasket with sealer probably nullifies the problem. Air leaks happen. No biggie. Learn and move on. Hard to justify trashing someone's living over $300 ffs.

As far as the lack of grinding goes, like hedgerow and others have stated, it's not about how much you take out and how shiny it is. It's about getting a respectable gain out of a saw that will sustain an acceptable lifespan.

For those who don't agree with "prettier isn't always better", and not thinking outside the box, I would refer you to the tale of the "Red Thorn".
Hogged out and shinier can go South quickly if not careful

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Randy is a pretty sweet mod, we are lucky to have him. In return occasionally when he asks us all to tone things down we should do so out of basic respect......he don't usually ask for much. I want to keep this place as it was intended to be, we ALL play a part in the success of OPE!
Respect is the key

Carbine

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys I have a saw Terry built . I'm not sure what really is done to it . but my 385 he did loves to chew wood fast . there are guys here that ran it and can say there piece on it .

I thought it seemed like a pretty good running saw. I've never had a 385/390, might have to get one some day.

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So you've moved on from porting chainsaw engines to baking pink cookies? Is this what I'm seeing here? How much for a bakers dozen?

Do the cookies come with a contract stating they are 30% moister than factory and will you stand behind your cookies and give me the heimlick manuver if I choke on them?

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys I have a saw Terry built . I'm not sure what really is done to it . but my 385 he did loves to chew wood fast . there are guys here that ran it and can say there piece on it .
Since you posted that... I can attest it runs fantastic. BUT I could also post my very unpleasant experience I had with Terry. I was afraid to do so on AS for fear of the lynch mentality over there, and I see a little of that here, so I won't go any further. It's a shame though, how's a guy to find out there are issues with a builder? Especially since all of it (on AS) got deleted.

petedaycab

let's roll some coal...............
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Since you posted that... I can attest it runs fantastic. BUT I could also post my very unpleasant experience I had with Terry. I was afraid to do so on AS for fear of the lynch mentality over there, and I see a little of that here, so I won't go any further. It's a shame though, how's a guy to find out there are issues with a builder? Especially since all of it (on AS) got deleted.
Did you give him a chance to make it right, if so, did he?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
we had a date and you stood me up for cookies? bastard

My sorry.....it got late (for me) and I got sleepy.......

I'll call you tonight.

I just want to compare notes on the 661. I've got a couple here that have a difference of two degrees on the intake height.

R&D ya know....

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My sorry.....it got late (for me) and I got sleepy.......

I'll call you tonight.

I just want to compare notes on the 661. I've got a couple here that have a difference of two degrees on the intake height.

R&D ya know....
I think the desired intake is somewhere around 90! :asz:

Brush Ape

Direct Connection
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Treemonkey is sending me some cream,I'll pass it along to you.

Nobody is gonna want an open container of Scott's Butthurt Salve. Save it in case you need it later.

Besides isn't that now available as a cooling refreshment?
sbs.JPG

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Someone mention AS, and deleted posts.

Let me get this out there....

The last thing we want here is to dissolve into a place with a bunch of guys fussing and fighting. We are all grown men....we need to act like men.

I think we can have any discussion, on any topic, as long as we keep a few things in mind.

Before you hit that reply button, remember, other men will be reading your post. Those men are also members of this forum. They will also be here day after day. Don't say things you will regret later.

One more thing to keep in mind. If I start getting numerous complains about any one member, I will consider using the "You're Outta Here" button.

Why would we keep people around that are only here to be a pain in our asses?