High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

Porting Tools - Need Some Help

Ironworker

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Yes my 357XP. As Red stated we have already deleted base gasket, ported mufflers and worked over the lower tranfers. What a difference it made. We had the ability to truly compare these mods to stock also because Reds 357 was worked as described and mine was stock for a short time. Night and day difference between the two.
Did you raise any of the port roofs to compensate for the cylinder drop? Just a thought that's been running through my mind lately.
Nope, I might have raised the exhaust a bit, don't remember.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Regarding those burs it appears that 3 mm is .1181 "whereas 1/8" is .125" . I never micrometered one so I don't know except they work .While I would prefer US made stuff how in the world would you ever figure out where the stuff is made?For all I know Dremel itself might be made in Mexico or China now of days

On the 3" shank stuff FWIW Mc Master-Carr lists them,about 7-8 bucks a pop .I looked them up at work today and was also surprised the cratex is now about 60 cents a pop but the arbors are still under 5 bucks.It's been a day or two since I had bought any .

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Regarding those burs it appears that 3 mm is .1181 "whereas 1/8" is .125" . I never micrometered one so I don't know except they work .While I would prefer US made stuff how in the world would you ever figure out where the stuff is made?For all I know Dremel itself might be made in Mexico or China now of days

On the 3" shank stuff FWIW Mc Master-Carr lists them,about 7-8 bucks a pop .I looked them up at work today and was also surprised the cratex is now about 60 cents a pop but the arbors are still under 5 bucks.It's been a day or two since I had bought any .

Thanks for the direction to McMaster-Carr! I've been searching everywhere for 3" shank burrs and came up with nothin. They're elusive little buggers.

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
11:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have flicked through this thread before but am now thinking seriously about a decent 90* porting tool.
I was just looking at the cheap Chinese 90* dentist thing and thought it looked dodgy...... this thread confirmed.
I have also looked at the 90* dremmel head but but looks plastic.

I am up with @drf255 comments earlier on on in this thread about spending once and getting the good thing.

The killer is the exchange rate which puts one at $460 with a 3mm collet before postage.
I would have to budget for $500 Aus$

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

I could put a few jugs in a box and send them to one of the great builders on here and have them ported and sent back for that.

I think I just talked myself into it and back out of it in one post.
Its amazing how seeing the $$$ figure on the screen can change your mind.

Perhaps one day if (when) I get a lathe and perhaps venture into rebuilds-porting as a side note for some pocket money.

As you were.......... Nothing to see here!

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have flicked through this thread before but am now thinking seriously about a decent 90* porting tool.
I was just looking at the cheap Chinese 90* dentist thing and thought it looked dodgy...... this thread confirmed.
I have also looked at the 90* dremmel head but but looks plastic.

I am up with @drf255 comments earlier on on in this thread about spending once and getting the good thing.

The killer is the exchange rate which puts one at $460 with a 3mm collet before postage.
I would have to budget for $500 Aus$

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

I could put a few jugs in a box and send them to one of the great builders on here and have them ported and sent back for that.

I think I just talked myself into it and back out of it in one post.
Its amazing how seeing the $$$ figure on the screen can change your mind.

Perhaps one day if (when) I get a lathe and perhaps venture into rebuilds-porting as a side note for some pocket money.

As you were.......... Nothing to see here!

I looked into the dremel 90° attachment and it is too big for saw porting despite what it's size appears to be online. I got excited when I saw they made one, but then got my hands on one and knew right away that it was too damn big. I completed my 372XT job with a normal dremel and I'll be getting a flex drive to use on saws without removable transfer covers. Still not the optimum setup, but sufficient to get the job done.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
2:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone have experience with Dremel Fortiflex 9100 system?
I consider to buy one, but is it compatible with other brands handpieces?

Last edited:

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone have experience with Dremel Fortiflex 9100 system?
I consider to buy one, but is it compatible with other brands handpieces?

It should be compatible with all standard key tip, ball catch handpieces like Foredom, Mastercarver, ect.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It should be compatible with all standard key tip, ball catch handpieces like Foredom, Mastercarver, ect.
thanks, there is a campaigns on them in Norway until tomorrow, guess I just has to grab one.
I dont do so much dremel work but I am sick of those cheap ones.
We dont have so many brands to choose between in Norway, I'll probleby buy handpices from US or ebay.
Super expensive things I prefer to purchase them in Norway so I can withdraw the cost on my farm

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
thanks, there is a campaigns on them in Norway until tomorrow, guess I just has to grab one.
I dont do so much dremel work but I am sick of those cheap ones.
We dont have so many brands to choose between in Norway, I'll probleby buy handpices from US or ebay.
Super expensive things I prefer to purchase them in Norway so I can withdraw the cost on my farm

The Dremel motor used to be much more expensive than a Foredom but it looks like they have come down a lot in price. 23k RPM max for the Dremel where the Foredom is 18k.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Dremel motor used to be much more expensive than a Foredom but it looks like they have come down a lot in price. 23k RPM max for the Dremel where the Foredom is 18k.
they used to be expensive on Norway also, but the price I saw make no sense to purchase them outside Norway, and there is 2 and 5 year waranty here also.
I dont know how the quality is Dremel vs Foredom..
I dont dremel much but maybe it will be the start to something :)

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm in hunt for diamond burr, 1/8" shank.
Any ebay shop recommended who sell 1/8" and not those 3 mm burrs?

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm in hunt for diamond burr, 1/8" shank.
Any ebay shop recommended who sell 1/8" and not those 3 mm burrs?

CC Specialties or McMaster-Carr for diamond burrs.

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
it's just to bewel ports, are those two on ebay?

Sorry, I forgot you are in Norway.

CC Specialties is a supplier of all sorts of porting tools. http://www.ccspecialtytool.com/Default.asp

McMaster-Carr is an Industrial supplier here in the states.

I've also got diamond points for a seller on Amazon. Lasco Diamond Products, Inc.

Here is one I use to bevel ports.

super3

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I dont know how the quality is Dremel vs Foredom..

I've had a Dremel for well over 20 yrs. Twisted off many cables over the yrs and still going strong.