Porting The NE346XP

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really wouldn't want to try and start any wars or anything. Just for the love and respect of the builders and the saws. More friendly rivalry than anything else. Nothing but Respect for the builders of these beasts.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
5:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really wouldn't want to try and start any wars or anything. Just for the love and respect of the builders and the saws. More friendly rivalry than anything else. Nothing but Respect for the builders of these beasts.

We don't really have anyone here that would get butthurt over losing a saw race. I've seen quite a few of these build offs, and in most cases you can run them again and have a different winner. The wood, chain, operator, etc all play such a part in the cut that it's far from a scientific result.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd love to build a saw for a build off! I think i need some more practice though... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would be surprised. Most guys end up overporting the saw. Keeping it simple usually makes a stronger saw when the big bars come out.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just found this thread,good read and nice grinding Keith. I have only ported 1 346,it's mike Lee's that he left for me to play with. I can't remember exactly what it is but I think 104 122 78 I'm pretty sure about everything but the transfers.
It's running 13k in the wood here because Chris pa wanted to call me a liar but couldn't. Lol

Hold the phone!

Did Chris PA verify your claimed RPM in the cut with the whizz-bang computer audio RPM detection program device????

Excellent saw Sir!! :)

sunfish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yours is at 105/122/78.

Andyshine brought a 346 he ported out to a gtg at Wiggs place the year we did the 066 build off. We did a 346 build off that same year. Just in cants instead of big wood. His saw just spanked the heck outta all of our saws. Of course, I started copying his numbers. :D
Thanks Randy!

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hold the phone!

Did Chris PA verify your claimed RPM in the cut with the whizz-bang computer audio RPM detection program device????

Excellent saw Sir!! :)
I actually was joking and said it was 13k in the wood and told him to call me a liar
He said it was 13k in the wood. Lol
Complete accident me being right,I never check rpm in the wood

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just found this thread,good read and nice grinding Keith. I have only ported 1 346,it's mike Lee's that he left for me to play with. I can't remember exactly what it is but I think 104 122 78 I'm pretty sure about everything but the transfers.
It's running 13k in the wood here because Chris pa wanted to call me a liar but couldn't. Lol
Thanks Jason and
His work is clean ain't Jason?
Thanks Randy

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You got this saw back together yet Keith?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes and made a few cuts with it awhile ago. Strong!! I have something funky with the 199 carb or a air leak because it doesnt want to return to idle very quickly off high rpm and turns the chain sometimes off idle. Ill stick the stock carb on in the mornin to isolate a carb problem or if that doesnt fix it Ill hunt the air leak. Got a rebuild kit if its the 199 carb actin funky

porsche965

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You would be surprised. Most guys end up overporting the saw. Keeping it simple usually makes a stronger saw when the big bars come out.

Big bars expose many flaws in porting. Any saw can sound and look "Brutish" wearing a 20" bar. (well almost lol)

porsche965

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have found that 5-7% down from the edge of max rpms gives me the best torque for everyday use. So from, let's say, 14,500 that would be 13,750 for a blocking saw of 70cc and more. For an under 70cc saw that is typically used for smaller wood and especially for "shorter cut times" running at near the max rpms is optimum.

The 346xp is a very versatile saw, being able to limb or block down and seems like a much larger saw depending on tune. Great choice Keith.
The 346xp is like your favorite pocket knife, you better not leave home without it.

Last edited:

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have found that 5-7% down from the edge of max rpms gives me the best torque for everyday use. So from, let's say, 14,500 that would be 13,750 for a blocking saw of 70cc and more. For an under 70cc saw that is typically used for smaller wood and especially for "shorter cut times" running at near the max rpms is optimum.

The 364xp is a very versatile saw, being able to limb or block down and seem like a much larger saw depending on tune. Great choice Keith.
The 346xp is like your favorite pocket knife, you better not leave home without it!
From the 4 8" cuts and the bar buried noodling cut I made its gonna be awesome!! Gotta figure out whats goin on with carb though