High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

porting a 064 hybrid.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
3:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
When I started building pipes for a lot of racers I have learned a lot of things....five cubes like a lot of rpm....stroker 3120s on nitro don't turn the rpm that you think they do
A short bar saw is kinda out of my element, I'm curious if a strong long bar saw with a big sprocket is faster or slower than a big rpm saw. Sorry for all the questions guys.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
4:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Which one though?

Don't madsens have the formula to calculate chain speed on there site?

There has to be a point where tourqe will out weigh rpm. I'll take the torque with a bigger gear. I think. Lol

I need to do some testing
I don't think there's an answer.

Gonna depend on chain and raker depth. Resistance at rpm.

And torque moves the chain, but hp is torque at a given rpm.

SquareFile

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Rpm out of the wood don't mean anything. Its what it holds in the cut. Bigger gearing is not always needs to be done with larger saws. But you have to know what your doing with a chain if so. Measure your sprockets and tach it in the cut. Here's the formula for sfpm/ surface footage per minute. Then you'll know which one has the highest chain speed.

[RPM X diameter of sprocket] x 3.1416 ÷ 12= sfpm

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There a builder on the AS that holds "RPM in the cut" to be his ultimate goal. His chains seem to spin and spin, but not cut that fast.

So I guess a torquier low rpm saw will pull the 10 pin with a high raker chain as fast the high rom saw with the smaller 8 pin and a low raker chain.

I see I've been a big help.

spencerpaving

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A short bar saw is kinda out of my element, I'm curious if a strong long bar saw with a big sprocket is faster or slower than a big rpm saw. Sorry for all the questions guys.
Hmmm big bar......could always machine a new flywheel out alum but twice the weight. ...kinda like a john deer b....guys out west race with big bars and the timing numbers aint alot diff from a good woods port

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why does one run numerically higher transfers (physically lower and more blowdown) on saws with higher exhausts?

Does the exhaust not close fast enough to trap mix from a lower numerical transfer?

SquareFile

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
There a builder on the AS that holds "RPM in the cut" to be his ultimate goal. His chains seem to spin and spin, but not cut that fast.

So I guess a torquier low rpm saw will pull the 10 pin with a high raker chain as fast the high rom saw with the smaller 8 pin and a low raker chain.

I see I've been a big help.

What does the "AS builder" have to do with this? Watch some race saw videos. They hold high rpm in the wood. Maybe cause that's there peak power.;)

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Kevin's non-decomp is at 97, his is a beast too
My 660 runs great at 98 with good compression but it ain't even close to the 066 at 101,no rpm difference between the two. 066 is finger ported with less blow down though. Intake is 84 on the 660 and 78 on the 066

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'll finish this weekend.

What kind of compression do you think scott? I'm thinking 210 to 220, exhaust at 164 that's about all I'll get.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
hey if you want a velocity stack Jason , say the word and I will get it to you with a green meanie, squarefile built me some and they are purty

Last edited: