MS261CM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All this talk of common sense???

Common sense is known to cause cancer in the state of California.

Or maybe the state of California is known to cause cancer in common sense?

It's all very confusing.

Last edited:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's how silly it gets .Zimmer nuc power plant near Moscow Ohio was built to be a nuc right in the coal fields in southern Ohio .It was converted to coal after the "three mile Island" incident and it was 95 percent ready to go on line .It cost more to convert it than it took to build it .Although I have no idea what it actually turned out it would not surprise me if it's not now natural gas that like magic appeared right where Rockefeller found oil about 100 years ago .Pretty good trick to hid that long .--I think we are getting played on this stuff .

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The thought of everything electric is not the answer nor the solution. It just sounds good whenever they say something is being converted to electric. It's automatically good and better for the environment. But, it actually isn't. Certain things just need to be powered by fuel and are honestly plenty efficient doing so. I'm all for technology but at a certain point it does more harm than good. The general public hears "electric" and it's automatically better and "green." Listen we're not pulling any shipping containers across the country with Tesla powered big rigs anytime soon. As cool as it sounds it just isn't realistic or practical yet. But these political hot shots will try to push it anyway...

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Yup Yup

You commented on the pic of my solar array, still not sure what you were asking

Anyway, the island in the background of my pic, Lanai, has THE highest utility rates in the nation

My island, Molokai, has the second highest

All electricity on Molokai is diesel generated, from fuel that has to be barged to the most remote island chain in the world

That doesn't come cheap and certainly is not eco friendly from several standpoints

I worried when we committed to solar about what happens to the solar panels years down the road and what happens to all the lithium batteries in my back up bank when they go south on me

All of that bothers me but so do $500-$600 a month electric bills

I worried about the same things when we bought a hybrid car and brought it over here to help combat $5.25 a gallon gas but once again I had to balance cost vs eco impact, etc

It is a balancing act for sure

Nobody wants pollution (unless you make your fortune cleaning up pollution) but there just seems to be an enormous elephant in the room that the politicians are choosing to ignore, pollution from BIG BUSINESS, but I guess if you contribute millions to campaign you get a pass

In Anchorage Alaska I used to watch trains hundreds of cars long go by that came from the coal mines near Healy and were going down to Seward where the coal was loaded by conveyor into ships bound for China

I could only imagine what the air in China was like and now we see pictures of it and it's worse than LA on a bad day

And as @Catman rightly points out thats where the batteries to fuel this brave new world of "zero emissions" OPE is going to come from

I guess China killing themselves to help us feel warm and fuzzy doesn't factor in to their equation

Maybe they will build an even bigger and taller Great Wall of China to keep all that *s-word in the atmosphere from coming over here

Sorry, went on another rant

Apologies in advance to all...

All of that is indeed true but who remembers the “Clean Coal Campaigns” during the Bush II Era?

Southern Company for instance spent Billions meeting the new regulations at their Coal Fired Facilities just 10-15 years ago & now many if not all of those Coal Fired Facilities are either closed or throttled back to approximately 2% of capacity.

At One facility I am familiar with, SoCo spent over $600M on the FGD Project: once completed they were selling their emissions credits to a sister facility because they did not need the credit & the sister facility’s new system was still under construction.

Basically all that comes out of the stack is condensation now.

So tell me how Coal is no longer an acceptable energy for fuel Electric Generation Turbines.

Yet we are going to rely more on Electrically from unstable Batteries & uneconomical windmills that never recoup their installation costs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All of that is indeed true but who remembers the “Clean Coal Campaigns” during the Bush II Era?

Southern Company for instance spent Billions meeting the new regulations at their Coal Fired Facilities just 10-15 years ago & now many if not all of those Coal Fired Facilities are either closed or throttled back to approximately 2% of capacity.

At One facility I am familiar with, SoCo spent over $600M on the FGD Project: once completed they were selling their emissions credits to a sister facility because they did not need the credit & the sister facility’s new system was still under construction.

So tell me how Coal is no longer an acceptable energy for fuel Electric Generation Turbines.

Yet we are going to rely more on Electrically from unstable Batteries & uneconomical windmills that never recoup their installation costs?

Here’s an article from the early 2000’s: compare the numbers then to now.

https://www.power-eng.com/emissions...es/southern-co-places-48m-fgd-order-with-mhi/

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you cut to the chase in reality there is no so called "green energy " .No matter what it is you have the residue left over you have to do something with .Spent fuel rods from a nuc with a half life of 500 years ,coal slurry ,spent wind turbine blades made of fiber glass .It cost more to scrap them as it did to make them .
California they whine like a broke d--k dog about wood heat but 500 times that amount goes up in wild fires because the state is always on fire .The political machine just pulls something out of their azz and see how well it sticks .
I find it amazing they would legislate about chainsaws and lawn mowers .That's about like pizzing in the Atlantic ocean trying to raise the water level ,good grief .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are so many BS theories promoted by the likes of Margorie "three names " and others who cater to the ignorance of others .It's never ending .Rather than get into senseless diatribe which will get into politics I'll just leave it right there .

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

There are ENORMOUS coal deposits in Alaska

As I used to watch those coal trains from the Usebelli Mine go by on their way to supply China I got angry because of the accepted rhetoric about how clean coal energy is "impossible"

There was one huge deposit that was much closer to the year round port that people wanted to develop but the greenies spent so much time and money saturating the media with their message that coal is death that it was never able to get off the ground, not even as an export product

The greenies would point to China and their emissions/smog problems and carefully avoid any mention of the stateside high tech coal fired plants

@Bilge Rat and @rogue60 are correct; there are too many people and they are for the most part, sheep

Critical thinking is a lost art...

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's plenty of coal and the technology is there for a clean burn if they wanted to use it which quite frankly they don't .The C and O rail road has a coal loading facility in Norfolk Va .Coal from the eastern states like West Va, Ohio and Pa send that coal to Japan via coalers as long as lake freighters loaded to the water lines . I can't help but wonder how many went down in the Pacific ocean that never made the crossing .

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to work in a coal powered steam plant that was built in 1891. We had clean emissions and it was picketed by protesters non the less . Peolpe had or have no concept of how thing operate and it's just easier for them to feel like they're fighting for something gooder. Make no mistake, these people are not sheep because sheep are not dangerous.
The plant switched to the more costly gas burning and alot of guys lost their jobs, to avoid criticism.
Its ironic that we preach education but the empirical evidence is contradictory.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
1:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe this has been discussed but the power company shut down again today from what I have read. How is anyone going to charge any of those fancy batteries with out generators?
Has everyone lost all common sense in the last few years?
We all have big ol' propane Generacs and gas powered saws and cars! Yes, most people have lost their common sense or are just plain ignorant. Yes, I do mean ignorant and not stupid.
That would imply that they once had common sense. I wouldn’t jump the gun
:risas3:

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll give you guys a heads up on moving to NC. Don't do it.
The mobs ahead of y'all have already turned the (what were once ) nicer places into a second version of the places you moved away from.
Crowded as F... and expensive now.
Before long, Texas is gonna figure out why inviting the (wealthy) Californians isn't such a good thing to do in the long term.

The Lithium mining is already getting a foothold. Could mean a new job for you or could mean the loss of open rural land.
https://www.mining.com/north-caroli...lans-lithium-project-temporarily-bans-mining/