Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
11:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Here's my first Missouri Meerschaum order and some Plum Pudding I got off of CBid. Figured I'd just as well get a cob pipe too, BWC #10. Gona have my first smoke here in a bit, after supper.
View attachment 380943
You might find all of those to be pretty wet out of the tin.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You might find all of those to be pretty wet out of the tin.

I opened the Red Virginia and it felt pretty damp. Almost felt like breaking up a brownie or something similar. Kinda interesting. Crumbly, yet almost gummy feeling at the same time. Wasn't quite expecting that. The stuff my cousin gets in the bags is as dry as a Kansas pasture in late July. I broke some up and it's been sitting for a couple hours. We'll see how it does and I'll adjust as needed.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So does a fella just let it set out for a day or to dry things out a bit ?
Yep you can let it sit out 15 minutes to overnight even. It all depends on how moist it is. If it’s too dry it’ll feel like dry leaves when you rub it out.

If you’re impatient you can also zap a bowls worth in the microwave for 10 seconds on a paper towel. When I had someone tell me that I thought they were hazing the new guy but it’s no shít it actually works.
The stuff my cousin gets in the bags is as dry as a Kansas pasture in late July.
Yeah that’s too dry. I find the more moist it is the more flavor there is. When it’s too dry it burns too fast/hot and there’s no flavor. It’s a bit of a balancing act. Too moist and it’ll cause tongue bite, burn slow, and need frequent relights. Too dry and it will burn to fast/hot, cause tongue bite, and likely taste bad.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I broke some up and it's been sitting for a couple hours. We'll see how it does and I'll adjust as needed.
After you rub it out If it clumps up and sticks together it’s too moist. It it’s kind of crunchy feeling and sounds like dried leaves it’s too dry. If it sticks together but quickly crumbles apart on its own it’s just right. At least for my taste and cadence. Your mileage will differ as you find your own rhythm and style.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I liked it. Good flavor. I don't have the palate that can pick out all the flavors, but I can't really pick them all out with cigars either. Bit more to it than cigars for sure, but it's a nice experience. The breath method is gona take some figuring out, but I just kinda puffed my way through it. Kinda wild a bowl lasts as long as it does, at least it did for me. Just about an hour. Took as long as a robusto cigar, but my throat doesn't feel like it does after a cigar.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I liked it. Good flavor. I don't have the palate that can pick out all the flavors, but I can't really pick them all out with cigars either. Bit more to it than cigars for sure, but it's a nice experience. The breath method is gona take some figuring out, but I just kinda puffed my way through it. Kinda wild a bowl lasts as long as it does, at least it did for me. Just about an hour. Took as long as a robusto cigar, but my throat doesn't feel like it does after a cigar.
Yeah you don’t have to use the breath method. The breath method is just a good way of keeping track of your puffing cadence. The big thing is just sip slowly.

You’re not looking for massive rips and huge clouds of white smoke. It should have that bluish color of a good smoker pumping out sweat bbq smoke. Dark gray means not enough heat out of the ember and white means too much heat. At first you notice these things but after awhile you’ll get used to the cadence that produces the best flavor for you and it will become second nature.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah you don’t have to use the breath method. The breath method is just a good way of keeping track of your puffing cadence. The big thing is just sip slowly.

You’re not looking for massive rips and huge clouds of white smoke. It should have that bluish color of a good smoker pumping out sweat bbq smoke. Dark gray means not enough heat out of the ember and white means too much heat. At first you notice these things but after awhile you’ll get used to the cadence that produces the best flavor for you and it will become second nature.

The tobacco needed to sit out a bit more. Had to relight a few times. I did notice that the smaller puffs gave the best flavor. When relighting a couple times I pulled too hard and had pretty big smoke clouds, and noticed the heat more and it had less flavor then.
It'll take a little time to figure out what works best, but I really enjoyed it. I have today's bowl set out already. See if I can't get a better ember today and cut back on relights.

Last edited:

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The tobacco needed to sit out a bit more. Had to relight a few times. I did notice that the smaller puffs gave the best flavor. When relighting a couple times I pulled too hard and had pretty big smoke clouds, and noticed the heat more and it had less flavor then.
It'll take a little time to figure out what works best, but I really enjoyed it. I have today's bowl set out already. See if I can't get a better ember today and cut back on relights.
Early on I focused too much on eliminating relights. Eventually I realized they happen. A couple per bowl isn’t uncommon. I’m glad you’re enjoying the process though.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Early on I focused too much on eliminating relights. Eventually I realized they happen. A couple per bowl isn’t uncommon. I’m glad you’re enjoying the process though.
I relight every few hits. I’ve never mastered just getting one to stay lit. I think I could prep my tobacco a little better at times. I smoke a lot of plugs / kake so I probably don’t get everything broken down good every time. There’s obviously some stuff that keeps burning pretty good but as a rule I’m lighting up all time. Then I’ll sit it down. Come back repeat

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Having this for the first time this afternoon. I’d rank it closer to a plug than a cake. Compared to the regular It still has all the nutty sweet/sour earthiness going on but It’s smoother and has more fermented dark fruit flavor. I really like this and highly recommend.IMG_3042.jpeg

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Having this for the first time this afternoon. I’d rank it closer to a plug than a cake. Compared to the regular It still has all the nutty sweet/sour earthiness going on but It’s smoother and has more fermented dark fruit flavor. I really like this and highly recommend.View attachment 381119
I like the original pretty well. Sometimes I’ll smoke it in the morning to kinda get myself together.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the original pretty well. Sometimes I’ll smoke it in the morning to kinda get myself together.
The original was just okay to me. For me sometimes burley tastes too much like cigarettes if smoked too hot. That’s how I remember the original. I could never get through a whole bowl without burning it too hot.

This cake version though seems to have mellowed the burley and made it nuttier almost on the verge of coffee/coco. Although if you puff too hard and get it too hot it still has that ashy aftertaste towards the end of the bowl. I’ll be ordering more for the cellar. I bet it will age well.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The original was just okay to me. For me sometimes burley tastes too much like cigarettes if smoked too hot. That’s how I remember the original. I could never get through a whole bowl without burning it too hot.

This cake version though seems to have mellowed the burley and made it nuttier almost on the verge of coffee/coco. Although if you puff too hard and get it too hot it still has that ashy aftertaste towards the end of the bowl. I’ll be ordering more for the cellar. I bet it will age well.
Burley definitely has a cigarette type taste to t. No doubt. I still smoke a cigarette here or there.

Funny strange habit. I smoke a cigarette in the morning. None throughout the day. So one a day

I still buy a carton when I’m out. Soooo I need 200 cigarettes when I don’t have any but never smoke them The idea of running out is still a thing

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got a few new tins in the mail today. Couldn’t wait to crack this one open.IMG_3050.jpegIMG_3049.jpeg

Pretty fantastic right out of the tin. It tastes like a cigar but also not. The criollo cigar leaf is definitely leading the race but the Virginia, burley, and perique aren’t far behind and make it unique.

Some cigar base blends I’ve had have been pretty one dimensional and often leave me thinking I might as well just smoke a good cigar. That is not the case here. It’s spicy from the criollo and perique but there’s also a well balanced amount of nutty coco from the burley and bready sweetness from the Virginias. Highly recommend.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
3:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got a few new tins in the mail today. Couldn’t wait to crack this one open.View attachment 381339View attachment 381340

Pretty fantastic right out of the tin. It tastes like a cigar but also not. The criollo cigar leaf is definitely leading the race but the Virginia, burley, and perique aren’t far behind and make it unique.

Some cigar base blends I’ve had have been pretty one dimensional and often leave me thinking I might as well just smoke a good cigar. That is not the case here. It’s spicy from the criollo and perique but there’s also a well balanced amount of nutty coco from the burley and bready sweetness from the Virginias. Highly recommend.
Screenshot_20230615-195829.jpg

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I check everything out there before I buy. Then I realize that I have no idea what I’m doing or those folks are on a deeper acid trip than I knew possible 😂
Same. I look over there and read the description/review and think that sounds nice. Then I kind of get what they are describing when I buy and try something. I just assume my taster is faulty.🤷🏼‍♂️