Pipers sound off if you’re present

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got that Whitluck canvas kit, hard bristle pipe cleaners and a soft flame lighter. Should be here Monday. Got a lot of research to do between now and then. 👍🏻

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
9:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I got that Whitluck canvas kit, hard bristle pipe cleaners and a soft flame lighter. Should be here Monday. Got a lot of research to do between now and then. 👍🏻
Good deal man. That’ll get you started and if you hate it you’re only out a few bucks. I don’t think you’ll hate it though.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So is this pipe worth $31 ???

View attachment 380504
Why yes.. yes it is😉IMG_3022.jpeg

I got mine for a c-hair under that. As near as I can tell the 117 is the same. The 106 is a Rhodesian shape which is a little shorter. All have gone regularly for around 30 in the last couple weeks.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just buy blindly & learn as you go. These enablers will square you ( us ) up. Lol.

😂. Well, you know how we do things......jump in both feet first. At least buying pipe tobacco and not liking it, shouldn't be as much of a financial hit as cigars. There were several expensive mistakes that I made in the beginning, in that world.. Pipe tobacco seems reasonably priced, in comparison. I'm looking forward to the journey. Change things up a bit. 👍🏻

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, after watching several Muttonchop Piper videos, he has a pretty cool little setup for storing tobacco. Once a tin is opened, are you guys using the mason jar method for storing your tobaccos? How long does that last ya, if so? As far as cellaring goes, are you guys just storing it room temp on a shelf, or something like that, or is it more elaborate?

I was about to upgrade my cigar storage, but have decided to hold off after changing things up and now having more room in my foot lockers. Which got me thinking, those foot lockers are priced decent enough and would probably hold quite a few tins of pipe tobacco and in turn would keep things out of sunlight, and living in the land of wind and dust, keep them from getting covered in dust, if I were to cellar some.

What do y'all think?

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, after watching several Muttonchop Piper videos, he has a pretty cool little setup for storing tobacco. Once a tin is opened, are you guys using the mason jar method for storing your tobaccos? How long does that last ya, if so? As far as cellaring goes, are you guys just storing it room temp on a shelf, or something like that, or is it more elaborate?

I was about to upgrade my cigar storage, but have decided to hold off after changing things up and now having more room in my foot lockers. Which got me thinking, those foot lockers are priced decent enough and would probably hold quite a few tins of pipe tobacco and in turn would keep things out of sunlight, and living in the land of wind and dust, keep them from getting covered in dust, if I were to cellar some.

What do y'all think?
Storage doesn’t have to be anything elaborate. I keep tobacco I smoke regularly in a cabinet in my unconditioned garage.IMG_3023.jpeg

Once a tin is opened I personally don’t do anything special for storage (cellaring) if I don’t plan on smoking a tin within a couple weeks it goes into a mason jar. It’s best to keep the jars out of direct sunlight and I believe a somewhat stable temperature helps too. That’s why I keep tobacco I’m not going to smoke regularly or that I’m aging in a cabinet in the basement.

Most but not all tobacco can be stored indefinitely in an unopened tin or mason jar in a cool dark place. Many aromatics don’t tend to age well.

41FanForLife

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why yes.. yes it is😉View attachment 380509

I got mine for a c-hair under that. As near as I can tell the 117 is the same. The 106 is a Rhodesian shape which is a little shorter. All have gone regularly for around 30 in the last couple weeks.
Shouldn't you be working?? LOL. Gonna be a big cigar weekend at the GTG this weekend.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Storage doesn’t have to be anything elaborate. I keep tobacco I smoke regularly in a cabinet in my unconditioned garage.View attachment 380527

Once a tin is opened I personally don’t do anything special for storage (cellaring) if I don’t plan on smoking a tin within a couple weeks it goes into a mason jar. It’s best to keep the jars out of direct sunlight and I believe a somewhat stable temperature helps too. That’s why I keep tobacco I’m not going to smoke regularly or that I’m aging in a cabinet in the basement.

Most but not all tobacco can be stored indefinitely in an unopened tin or mason jar in a cool dark place. Many aromatics don’t tend to age well.

Perfect! I'm a visual guy, so pictures are always a good thing. Thanks. All mine will be stored in my gun room more than likely and Its fairly consistent, as far as temp goes. It probably fluctuates 15 degrees a year. 60's in the winter, because the wood stove is on the opposite side of the house and about 70, maybe up to 75 in the summer. So, I should be good there.

The Heartfelt beads Jim turned me onto, makes keeping cigars regulated, pretty dang easy, but I like that all it takes is a Mason jar for pipe tobacco. There was hundreds of them in the "root cellar" when I bought my house. So, I already have plenty of those.

Have you ever had any dry out it the Mason jars, or do you get to it fast enough? Would it keep a year or more in a Mason jar ya reckon?

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Perfect! I'm a visual guy, so pictures are always a good thing. Thanks. All mine will be stored in my gun room more than likely and Its fairly consistent, as far as temp goes. It probably fluctuates 15 degrees a year. 60's in the winter, because the wood stove is on the opposite side of the house and about 70, maybe up to 75 in the summer. So, I should be good there.

The Heartfelt beads Jim turned me onto, makes keeping cigars regulated, pretty dang easy, but I like that all it takes is a Mason jar for pipe tobacco. There was hundreds of them in the "root cellar" when I bought my house. So, I already have plenty of those.

Have you ever had any dry out it the Mason jars, or do you get to it fast enough? Would it keep a year or more in a Mason jar ya reckon?
That sounds like a great place to cellar. I’ve never had it dry out in the mason jar, but I’ve been a pipe smoker for less than 5 years, so I’m really still just a novice. Some pipe tobacco has the opposite problem and comes on the moist side. When that happens it needs to be air dried or zapped in the microwave for 10 seconds if you’re impatient.

Tobacco that’s not too dry not too moist is kind of something you need to figure out for your own personal taste. If some tobacco got too dry for some weird reason you could use some of those beads to rehydrate. It shouldn’t ever go “bad” in the cellar. There are some blends that are actually made to be cellared at least 10 years before you smoke them.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a nice little cabinet to store things as well. I just know I want stuff not covered in dust and living in a 140 yr old house, it's a full time job keeping things free of dust.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ole Amazon got after this order. Supposed to show up Monday, but showed up today.
This is a really nice kit I think. The multi tool thing isn't near as flimsy as I was expecting and the canvas roll is very good quality. Heck, even the pipe seems solid and is tight. Thanks for the recommendation @Woodpecker. 👍🏻
Of course I had to get the multi tool built into my lighter, just like my punch, cutter and torch lighter for cigars. Keeps things together.
IMG_20230607_130023_208.jpg