Pipers sound off if you’re present

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had me a bowl of Country Squire Old Toby in my new Viking 118 this evening, courtesy of @Woodpecker. This is a fantastic blend. I like it a lot. I'll definitely be putting this blend on the buy list. The Viking smokes very well too. Very pleased with it. 👍🏻

And for the record, my palate doesn't pick up most of what others pick up either, and it apparently translates to pipes, just like cigars. I think some peoples' super powers are their palates apparently. Lol I may pick up a flavor, or 2 maybe, but most of what I pick up with either, is if it's sweet, or spicy, and whether it's smooth, or not. I do get quite a bit more flavor from pipes, and the blends I've had so far, compared to cigars.
IMG_20230615_174603_878.jpg

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
3:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Had me a bowl of Country Squire Old Toby in my new Viking 118 this evening, courtesy of @Woodpecker. This is a fantastic blend. I like it a lot. I'll definitely be putting this blend on the buy list. The Viking smokes very well too. Very pleased with it. 👍🏻

And for the record, my palate doesn't pick up most of what others pick up either, and it apparently translates to pipes, just like cigars. I think some peoples' super powers are their palates apparently. Lol I may pick up a flavor, or 2 maybe, but most of what I pick up with either, is if it's sweet, or spicy, and whether it's smooth, or not. I do get quite a bit more flavor from pipes, and the blends I've had so far, compared to cigars.
View attachment 381402
I don’t smoke a whole lot of aromatics but when I do it’s usually old Toby. It’s got just the right amount of topping and isn’t goopy like some others. Matter of fact I don’t think I’ve had a bad aromatic from the squire. I’m glad you liked it my friend! Happy piping.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had a bowl of Country Squire Rivendell in the Viking tonight. It too was very good. Both this one and Old Toby have a (to me) strong smell in the baggies, but neither were overpowering taste wise. Just enough to taste, but not completely cover up the tobacco taste.
IMG_20230616_190312_027.jpg

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So what kind of lighters do you guys use for pipes? Anything fancy, or plain jane Bics? I like the lighter I got, but it doesn't have a very big capacity and it's only lasting just over a bowl. And it runs on butane, so I like that.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So what kind of lighters do you guys use for pipes? Anything fancy, or plain jane Bics? I like the lighter I got, but it doesn't have a very big capacity and it's only lasting just over a bowl. And it runs on butane, so I like that.

I need to acquire a sort flame lighter, everything I have are torches.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve got one. It’s nothing special but I feel like a bic is a solid lighter. I light plenty of cigars with a bic too. Rarely do they ever fail. Like 99.8 percent they work till you lose it or it dies

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had a lotus like this one for maybe 10 years. Since before I started smoking a pipe.

IMG_3051.jpeg

It’s held up well. For lighting a pipe it lasts a few days for me. It’s getting a little finicky for refills thought so I just got a nice kiribi kabuto: IMG_3052.jpeg

It’s solid metal and feels heavy in a good way. I haven’t had it long though so cannot say how well it will last. So far it’s lasting over a week on a butane refill. Feels a little weird to use my index finger to light it though.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve got one. It’s nothing special but I feel like a bic is a solid lighter. I light plenty of cigars with a bic too. Rarely do they ever fail. Like 99.8 percent they work till you lose it or it dies

That makes sense. I see there's plenty of folks out there using soft flames for cigars, and it makes sense why. I always try to be as "gentle" as possible when lighting cigars, and pipes now.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had a lotus like this one for maybe 10 years. Since before I started smoking a pipe.

View attachment 381476

It’s held up well. For lighting a pipe it lasts a few days for me. It’s getting a little finicky for refills thought so I just got a nice kiribi kabuto: View attachment 381479

It’s solid metal and feels heavy in a good way. I haven’t had it long though so cannot say how well it will last. So far it’s lasting over a week on a butane refill. Feels a little weird to use my index finger to light it though.

I like how the Kiribi stays lit, without having to hold down a button. I was actually looking at pipe specific Zippos due to the same function, but want something that runs off butane, since my cigar lighters are all butane. I like tk keep things simple. A week is plenty respectable enough for me.

Might just get a pack of Bics and a good lighter both.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like how the Kiribi stays lit, without having to hold down a button. I was actually looking at pipe specific Zippos due to the same function, but want something that runs off butane, since my cigar lighters are all butane. I like tk keep things simple. A week is plenty respectable enough for me.

Might just get a pack of Bics and a good lighter both.
I definitely have some Bic’s kicking around in the truck and garage. I like the Kiribi it’s been solid so far. If you like that style and your budget allows the IM corona old boy does everything the kiribi does but better. It’s also almost twice the price. Both are made in Japan.

I think I remember seeing a pipe specific butane powered zippo insert somewhere.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I definitely have some Bic’s kicking around in the truck and garage. I like the Kiribi it’s been solid so far. If you like that style and your budget allows the IM corona old boy does everything the kiribi does but better. It’s also almost twice the price. Both are made in Japan.

I think I remember seeing a pipe specific butane powered zippo insert somewhere.

I'll have to look at the IM Corona. I'd rather buy a good one once, instead of having to buy a lighter every so often. I'll have to search the zippo insert thing as well. I did see inserts, but admittedly, I only glanced at it, because I don't have the shell, or whatever for the insert to go in. I'll look into it better.

Thanks for the guidance fella. I appreciate it!

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also since I’m thinking about it.

Different pipes smoke differently with the same blend. So that’s a fun thing

Also different material pipes (briar cob meerschaum) all smoke a little different. But a cob is a damn good one

I don’t own an actual meerschaum pipe either but I do want one

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure if these fall in the cool category, but these are mine. Then I have an 8 inch round 6 cigar metal ashtray in the garage. Nothing real fancy. The Montecristo is my house ashtray. Never used the other 2 yet.
IMG_20230617_221957_206.jpgIMG_20230617_221932_518.jpgIMG_20230104_141034_254.jpg