Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Questions

1. What is a Relief Step?
2. When talking about width as % of diameter, say 70% of a 2" bore is 1.4", is that 1.4" along the curve or a straight line?
Straight. 70 is a long way to go. Be sure of your port shape and bevels.

countryhog

BTDT
Local time
9:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
can't grind this port because you run into a problem called piston ring locator pins
View attachment 68384
So are the ring pins on either side of the center circular port? If so, seems like you could still square them up to gain more discharge area. Beyond my knowledge as to whether that would help or hinder. Be curious to know since i have couple project saws like that that i havent gotten to yet

lumberjackchef

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
So are the ring pins on either side of the center circular port? If so, seems like you could still square them up to gain more discharge area. Beyond my knowledge as to whether that would help or hinder. Be curious to know since i have couple project saws like that that i havent gotten to yet
Most of the old magnesium saws that I have been into have similar ports to this and some do not have any locator pins fort the rings...... have you had this one apart to see where they are located or if they are present?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was Googling for old Mac stuff and ran across a vid of an old saw builder in B.C. who explained his exhaust port polishing simply as a means to help reduce cylinder heat on the exhaust side. Smoother surface equals less surface area than a porous, bumpy one, (relatively speaking, of course). The rougher finish has a greater surface area simply due to its texture having vertical surface area in addition to horizontal surface area. Rougher gets hotter than polished and retains heat longer as a result. Only reason he polishes.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was Googling for old Mac stuff and ran across a vid of an old saw builder in B.C. who explained his exhaust port polishing simply as a means to help reduce cylinder heat on the exhaust side. Smoother surface equals less surface area than a porous, bumpy one, (relatively speaking, of course). The rougher finish has a greater surface area simply due to its texture having vertical surface area in addition to horizontal surface area. Rougher gets hotter than polished and retains heat longer as a result. Only reason he polishes.

Anyone ever test this? I've heard this a lot, but is it true? A rougher surface creates a boundary layer as air flows across it, maybe it would actually absorb less heat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone ever test this? I've heard this a lot, but is it true? A rougher surface creates a boundary layer as air flows across it, maybe it would actually absorb less heat?

The rougher surface reduces the boundary layer. This is why a rough surface has better mass flow than a smooth surface but it does increase heat transfer.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The rougher surface reduces the boundary layer. This is why a rough surface has better mass flow than a smooth surface but it does increase heat transfer.

Ok. That makes sense.
So in the case of an exhaust port, which is more important? Is the excess heat absorbed an issue? Or can the jug design handle the heat and the improved air flow a better choice?