Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
11:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
More About Rivets

At the most basic level, 'mushrooming' the ends of rivets holds a saw chain together, regardless of whether the rivets are peened, or spun, or fed a junk food diet. But rivets do much more!

While the ends ('hubs' in the illustration) are soft and malleable enough to be spun and formed, the center ('hub') is actually hardened and acts like a bearing in the drive link holes. This was demonstrated to me by an engineer conducting quality control tests on chain parts. Exactly how they they get different hardness levels on these tiny parts is magic to me, but I am easily amazed.

Chain Rivet and Drive Link.png

'Properly' spinning the rivets not only creates the mushroomed ends, but also expands the diameter of the rivet hubs so that they tightly fill the holes in the tie straps. This way, all of the pivoting movement occurs at the bearing, lubricated by the bar oil. If movement occurs where the softer hubs of the rivets meet the tie straps, this will contribute to excessive wear, and 'chain stretch'.

*BTW - a 'preset' is just a tie strap with the rivets already attached, used on one side of the chain, which makes assembly a lot easier than trying to manipulate tiny rivets. I do not know of any manufacturer than normally sells chain rivets that are not part of a preset.

Tie Strap Preset and Rivet.png

So, while reusing a rivet, or smashing it with the flat end of an axe, may hold a chain together, it is like driving around on bald tires, or standing on a rickety ladder: it works, until it doesn't. But it is not a 'best practice'.

Philbert

MolluskMania

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Being 'frugal', I try to re-use parts if I can. If I punch out rivets carefully, I can often salvage and reuse the tie straps. Sometimes that means pressing a little bit on each rivet, back-and--forth, instead of driving right through, which tends to bend smaller pitch components. But punching out rivets with a chain breaker removes a small ring of metal, just as grinding part of the head does. There is less rivet left to work with, even if it can be somewhat re-formed.
View attachment 240291

There is also, always, a question of judgement, as some of the photos in my A.S. 'Chain Challenge' thread illustrate, which cautions me about words like 'never' or 'always'!

View attachment 240293

View attachment 240294

View attachment 240295

Philbert
Pop rivet in pic 3?

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dad did thousands of chains this way over the years I don't recall ever seeing or hearing of any kind of failure with his chain's.
I've just got a few odd little bars I'd like to make some chain's up for using this method.
20200512_144242.jpg

Factory rivet didn't fail on this 404 chain being pulled by an 088 in some nasty dirty wood Stihl chain is good stuff.
Screenshot_20191203-092702.jpg

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot to be said for that chain being in the slot of the bar! Very little open span (from bar to sprocket) for the links to deflect sideways and the rivet pull out.
I've seen roller chain on a dirt bike get cracked like that and it usually didn't last much longer.

MolluskMania

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My dad did thousands of chains this way over the years I don't recall ever seeing or hearing of any kind of failure with his chain's.
I've just got a few odd little bars I'd like to make some chain's up for using this method.
View attachment 240466

Factory rivet didn't fail on this 404 chain being pulled by an 088 in some nasty dirty wood Stihl chain is good stuff.
View attachment 240467
Yikes, that’s a testament to Stihl chain.

Say, I’ve never seen a Stihl bar with two adjuster holes. Did it come from the factory like that?

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yikes, that’s a testament to Stihl chain.

Say, I’ve never seen a Stihl bar with two adjuster holes. Did it come from the factory like that?
It's an old bar I don't remember when or where I got it holes look factory to my eye didn't look DIY home done to me?