Old and odd push mowers

old 040

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The engine is a JLO rockwell engine I have the specs somewhere in my Bunton info I will dig it up for you.I have a buddy here at work that has one too. The parts are a little hard to come by but most can be found from snowmobile parts.
Ahhh.......I remember now, forgot about the JLO's.

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Need some help on this one, I vaguely remember this engine being used on the BuntView attachment 47735 ons for a short while, were they Sachs engines?
Looked in my data sheet for 1981 and it list two 2 cycle JLO engines, the 8hp and the 12.5hp. The 8hp could be ordered on the 24"-36" mowers and the 12.5hp could be ordered on 36"-52" mowers. The JLO is a german engine manufacture that made all kinds of small engines for motorscooters and industrial purposes. in the late sixties Rockwell gear of the USA got exclusive rights to import and sell them. The engines said JLO Rockwell on them. Rockwell then signed a deal with scorpion snowmobiles to exclusively supply them with the engines. As the snowmobile market slowed and makers died off Rockwell sold the dies,and rights to Scorpion and they renamed the engines cuynua. JLO did not import engines till they showed up on the Bunton,Goodall and Toro mowers. They also made engines for flymo hover mowers.

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
complete? got a picture?
It is complete, has good comp and spark, I do not have the tank, carb,or top cover. I bought it several years ago off ebay as it was listed as a buttercup engine, but when it got to me it has the brick top mag plate of the c12 engine. It also has the flat spot on the crank for the blade adaptor instead of the taper.I will get pics when I can and send them to you.

Darren Bush

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
IMG_0730.JPG
Hey! I just bought one of those! Love it!
Both of the Buntons are unrestored and run really well. The larger three wheeler, I got in Louisville; the cemetery mower, I bought in LaGrange, KY. I'm looking for a 3.5-5 hp Briggs and Stratton engine in Bunton yellow w/ "patina" for my next Bunton mower. Please contact me directly if you have an engine you don't need. Thanks, Darren in Louisville, KY.

Last edited:

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 58391
Hey! I just bought one of those! Love it!
Both of the Buntons are unrestored and run really well. The larger three wheeler, I got in Louisville; the cemetery mower, I bought in LaGrange, KY. I'm looking for a 3.5-5 hp Briggs and Stratton engine in Bunton yellow w/ "patina" for my next Bunton mower. Please contact me directly if you have an engine you don't need. Thanks, Darren in Louisville, KY.
Is there anything left at the Bunton Seed place in Louisville, business wise?
I remember that had some leftover stuff laying around that was Bunton related.

Darren Bush

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Is there anything left at the Bunton Seed place in Louisville, business wise?
I remember that had some leftover stuff laying around that was Bunton related.
That's a good question. I work near there, so I might go have a look one afternoon soon.

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My Bunton came with a tecumseh on it, I replaced it with a briggs crate engine. I do not have any extras at this time.

Darren Bush

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks...Well, just about the time I was starting to get down over the loss of a good running original Bunton engine (completely my fault), I scored two Duzmore 18" mowers in my own neighborhood! One has the hand crank starter! I can't wait to pick them up tomorrow. Hopefully I can get them going. I'll get a picture or two posted.

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Good score ! there are a lot of them around the Louisville area wish I was not an 1-1/2 he drive or I would give you some competition lol!

Darren Bush

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I can't believe the guy's house and garage I saw today. This whole property is literally stuffed with vintage tools, signs, motorcycles, and mowers. I bought those two mowers for $150, then the dude says he's got a cemetery mower upstairs in this huge garage. It's the old tecumseh engine model with tank and air filter on the handle. Looks to be pretty nice. He wants $150 for it....deal or no? I'm not sure if that's a lot more than it's worth or if I should snatch it. I swear I've never seen a place like this before...I could spend five years rooting through stuff in that garage...probably 2000 square feet or more.

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That is not to bad of a price if it is all original and is complete. There is not to many of these left with the tecumseh engine due to their problems with oiling. Bunton tried to fix this by requesting deep sumps on the engines for more oil capacity. From all I can find it was a bunton only and the parts are very rare. the cost got too high for the custom order and they went with briggs for the whole line later.

dolmarkid

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
An old Man in my neighborhood collected old mowers years ago. He had a Jacobsen which was a 2-stroke and had a very unusual blade system. It was a large disc with four pivoting tips that you would sharpen which actually did the cutting. They had VERY large wings and created an un-Godly amount of lift. It was interesting.
my grand parents had one just like it the large disc with 4 tips was actually for cutting wet grass or at least that what my grandparents told me

Darren Bush

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the input KYsawman. It appears to be all there except the spring assembly for starting. I asked the guy if it's the kind of motor where you wrap a string around the top and pull it...he said no. I'm a little worried that I won't be able to locate a recoil assembly for it. I have a spare B&S recoil from a Bunton. I also have a spare tecumseh recoil from an old 2stroke Snapper. I wonder if either of those would fit.

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have several nos springs that should work, if you get it let me know and I will send you one. The recoil assy is the same as many other tecumseh engines if you neet a complete assy ebay is a good source.

Darren Bush

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
awesome. Thanks...I'm not a fan of tecumseh engines but I may snatch it up anyway. I'll let you know.
I have several nos springs that should work, if you get it let me know and I will send you one. The recoil assy is the same as many other tecumseh engines if you neet a complete assy ebay is a good source.

Darren Bush

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks, I tried searching "12 inch Bunton mower" on Bing but guess I didn't put the right terms in... I would love to have one of those. I love odd things like that.
I know where there is one available. It has a tecumseh motor and looks to be in good condition. It's in louisville, KY. The seller is firm at $150.

Darren Bush

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hey, you wouldn't happen to have a couple of the old metal sleeve throttle control cables would you? I've got two Duzmores with no cables. I'd be happy to buy a couple if you have any spares.

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I do not have any spares but I got the last ones in Lousville at Parrish Implement company. he was the first Bunton dealer in the area. He was great finding old bunton parts.