High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Old 395xp - at what point do you do heavy maint/light rebuild?

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
2:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know there is alot of wore out saws out there buy.... I dont think every one needs bearings and all rubber to be useful again. We are enthusiasts here so we do things a bit different

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
11:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know there is alot of wore out saws out there buy.... I dont think every one needs bearings and all rubber to be useful again. We are enthusiasts here so we do things a bit different
Yes, that stuff is pretty fresh. Thread is a recent continuation of an old one.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tough...but my guys managed to kill this one, ha! (long time ago, melted piston, dealer fixed). Dunno if air leak or straight gas...don't loan out your saws.
Yep seen that before. And yes it's always had to be my policy, not to loan them. They never come back the same.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you pull your top end off complete, don’t drop it back on until you put the carb shelf back on. :-/
yeah, i forgot to feed fuel line up through last time i messed with mine. pretty cool

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Put tank on, hook stuff up

throttle cable is jacked up in handle

take tank back off

can we make noise before turkey?!

the weather is gorgeous here guys, you should see it.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, Buckets. After I discovered how loose the piston was, I figured that must be it. I reused my crank instead of the one I got from Custer. I couldn’t tell any difference between the cranks with them out of the saw. Got it back together, same rattle. I kinda don’t think it’s the crank though. At idle it’s random. Revved, it’s consistent. I have the saw running stripped, no oil pickup or pump, bar, clutch. Even tried removing the starter. I noticed that while idling if I touch the dog to a log, it gets consistent and louder. If I push hard, it goes away. I think it’s something rattling in or on the crankcase or top end, or between them and the fuel tank. Kinda stumped. I might try it with the muffler and handle off, but with the muffler off I don’t know if I could hear it.

Last edited:

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I figured out after much hassle that the idle rattle was the muffler hitting the screw head for the front AV mount.

Still had a nasty zing at RPM. Gaaah…

I was gonna send it to Kevin cuz I should be working on other things but I got mad and tore it apart again tonight. I noticed my crank does have slightly more slop than the new used one. I put the good one in, helicoiled a thread, and the cyl back on, motoseal drying now. Considerably less rotational slop in the flywheel now. Final assembly and run test tomorrow night.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think they get like old trucks maybe, maybe noises develope. Not sure. I understand where u are coming from though.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got it together and ran it, no godawful rattles any more

But now it runs with both jets closed, backfires out the intake, and throws fire out the exhaust, prolly that crap fuel. Mixed up some fix it fuel plus seafoam and parked it with that in it.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got it together and ran it, no godawful rattles any more

But now it runs with both jets closed, backfires out the intake, and throws fire out the exhaust, prolly that crap fuel. Mixed up some fix it fuel plus seafoam and parked it with that in it.

Sounds like your flywheel slipped.