OEM 272 Cylinder compared with Hyway Titanikel 272

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
2:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't buy alot of AM stuff, as I am a fan of the old American mag saws and other strange models. I get alot of my saws from dead piles or worn pistons and I am usually able to save the cylinder.
But I feel like the very few AM parts I've used have performed as expected without any detrimental effects. So am I dodging bullets here ?
I used a hyway pop up in a 10$ junk 034 and its worked very well (not ported or anything) , and what I mean is that its nothing special and not a dog either. I base this on the fact that I could have paid for all parts and labor I have in that saw probably 20xs over and that math works for me.
I just don't see the logic of tossing the cylinder your buddy bought, to save a smoked saw?

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't buy alot of AM stuff, as I am a fan of the old American mag saws and other strange models. I get alot of my saws from dead piles or worn pistons and I am usually able to save the cylinder.
But I feel like the very few AM parts I've used have performed as expected without any detrimental effects. So am I dodging bullets here ?
I used a hyway pop up in a 10$ junk 034 and its worked very well (not ported or anything) , and what I mean is that its nothing special and not a dog either. I base this on the fact that I could have paid for all parts and labor I have in that saw probably 20xs over and that math works for me.
I just don't see the logic of tossing the cylinder your buddy bought, to save a smoked saw?
Inconsistent is the best way to put it. They CAN work fine, and they have a place. I wouldn’t put a new $200 P&C on a saw that’s worth less than it is.

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your friend didn't want to shell out the money for oem so just make sure no sharp edges and put it together. He knows the quality is less so if it blows up then he can't be mad but it may do everything and more than he was even expecting. I have seen plenty of aftermarket cylinders last a long time so I would give it a shot worst case is it will cost him more in the long run to rebuild again if it doesn't last.

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@huskihl
Thank you for doing up that pic to help explain and for the comments on what you see.

@drf256 -
Hey thank you for the super detailed replies and I really appreciate your offer. I will send you a pm later today.

@Stump Shot
Thank you for the advice on the situation with my friend. I did not read it as coarse at all, it’s appreciated here.
Oh and I meant to tell you that your ignition timing suggestion worked great on my closed port 61. I finally got the opportunity to dog it in on a cut. That’s where I really noticed the extra torque. Very surprising difference there actually.

@Maintenance Chief
Thank you for the suggestions. Whichever way I go from here, your comments are helpful and appreciated. I have had good luck so far on the three aftermarket pistons I’ve used. But they all had knife like edges. The meteor being the highest quality looking piston, but the worst about knife edges. It took some time but I carefully knocked the edges down on them.

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Shane¹
I agree with that suggestion. But if I have the opportunity to build him something better, I am going to go that route for him. I know that it shouldn't matter when someone pays you to do something....but, this guy has been my best friend since we were 12 years old. He would and has done the same for me.

I'll say it before any of you other trouble makers do - "aww, what a cute story"

lol

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Shane¹
I agree with that suggestion. But if I have the opportunity to build him something better, I am going to go that route for him. I know that it shouldn't matter when someone pays you to do something....but, this guy has been my best friend since we were 12 years old. He would and has done the same for me.

I'll say it before any of you other trouble makers do - "aww, what a cute story"

lol
Haha funny I don't disagree with you that it may be worth it to build him something better. I am just saying he maybe really happy with the other cylinder too.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a blown up 039 given to me and i wanted to try the cheapest AM one i could find as this was just a clam shell motor. It is the biggest turd of a saw for a 64cc
(i think)
I think my 40 cc dolmar would out cut that thing.
I have only ran maybe 3 tanks through it so not broken in but it still sucks lol maybe i will open the muffler a bit and see if that helps.
932962f9332f7e07a7e3984b16046ac5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
12:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interested to see what timing numbers you get.

I think you will find the Hyway squish to be very large.

I have seen a 3 or 4 different castings for 372 BB from Hyway. One is better than the others. 272 may be the same. The one you have looks like it was made from the same mold as the one I have here. Maybe there’s only one 272 mold?

Titanikel is very easy to chip. If you grind on it I recommend getting rid of the plating in the chamfers with a diamond burr first.

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Drf256 Al, I know this is an old thread, when did they stop using Mahle jugs on the 272? I have ordered 2 new P&C kits and they have both been decomp KS, but look really nice.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just to add to the original thread. I have an ugly Betty 272 with a 32” bar I’m running a cheap slug n jug on. Runs surprisingly well. I’d never recommend it.

I’d like to have a decent used oem on there but I have 3 of that model. She just keeps ticking along.